Community
Hunting Gear Discussion Clothing, stands, ATV's, optics, scents, calls, etc... read the latest reviews of hot new hunting gear items here.

Types of Camp Houses

Old 06-07-2004, 03:22 PM
Spike

Default Types of Camp Houses

I am curious wht type of camp house, trailer, camper, tent, base camp, etc that everyone has at their hunting camp---I am new to hunting and will be joining a club this year. I need a place to stay while down there----There is a place for bathroom/shower adn a community kitchen, so that is not a concern---

Basically, all I need is a place to sleep and change clothes and rest between hunts---

Can you please recommend or suggest what has worked for you in teh past or if you could redo your situation over again, things you would do again---

Thanks!!!
Old 06-07-2004, 07:30 PM
Giant Nontypical

Default RE: Types of Camp Houses

After sleeping in tents for ages, about 5 years ago we picked up a 60's model 18ft. Mobile Scout trailer. To some this may be "roughing it," but to us it's the Taj Ma Hal!
If somethinglike this is what you are after, start looking now! You should be able to find something in the 500-1500 dollar range, if all you want is a deer camp trailer. The closer you get to deer season, the more $$$ you will likely have to pay, so start shopping! Good luck!
Old 06-07-2004, 09:49 PM
Giant Nontypical

I got a dome tent and some air mattresses and I feel like I am in a 5 star motel compared to the way we used to camp out back home, just a sleeping bag under the stars on bare ground.
Old 06-07-2004, 10:32 PM
Giant Nontypical

For your situation and minimal investment I would suggest a tent with a good quality sleeping bag, lantern, cooler, folding camp chairs, air mattress or cot and minimal cooking tools. You may want a propane heater if cool in the evening/am or drying gear, sounds like everything else is already available. The other option would be a small pull behind trailer or truck camper.

The 2 areas I hunt regularily where staying the night is required we have cabins. I still own a tent and wall tent for going to areas that are less than regular. The cabins are nice when it rains or extreme cold but the tents will also work, the only must for me is the ability to dry out clothing & boots for long duration hunts.
Old 06-07-2004, 11:06 PM
Typical Buck

I just got through roughing out my cabin exterior, it's a small 2 story with about 1000sq ft. It's been a long time coming, wish i would have built it years ago. I did 98% of the work myself and it took me 9 weekends to build. Now I can rest a little and finish out the interior before deer season.

doubleA

and the finished product...............

Old 06-08-2004, 07:18 AM
Fork Horn

Here Is My Camphouse.

Old 06-08-2004, 08:05 AM
Spike

WOw---Those camps are GREAT!!! That is they type of place I am looking for---I will possibly have a total of three guys sharing space with me---TexaxAggie and Double A, would your buildings allow for three members and possibly 3 additioanl guests to live in for a weekend?

Also, I guess you own your land so you dont have to worry about the land being leased out from under you?

Again, thanks for the ideas!!!!!
Old 06-08-2004, 11:53 AM
Fork Horn

Mine can sleep 8-10 pretty easily. Its all bunk beds
Old 06-10-2004, 08:50 AM
Nontypical Buck

alot of people around here buy old travel trailers for there hunting land and they work really good ive stayed in some a few times and there pretty nice and some people with a little more money to spend get a used mobile home and just to toss another in a guy i know bought a big shed its like 20x20' or so and he put up a small walled in room maby 5x5' and made it a bathroom its mainly just a toilet and a sink and he bought a small septic tank for it and he got a small well but that things awesome he has 2 sets of bunk beds in it and he has a table and he ran electricity to it so you can use and eletric stove and all in it its very cool and for heat and air he has a window mount ac unit and a space heater but its very comfortable with 5 people in it it even has a little front pourch with some chairs and all
Old 06-11-2004, 10:20 AM
Typical Buck

WOW Doubel A that is beautiful. Man you must be in carpentry? There is no way I could build anything like that. How much would it run to have something like that built on your land? Just curious? Also did your run the powerline to it, and does it have plumbing?

Beautiful camp man,

Jim]