Community
Hunting Gear Discussion Clothing, stands, ATV's, optics, scents, calls, etc... read the latest reviews of hot new hunting gear items here.

GPS

Old 06-11-2004, 08:51 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: GPS

I have had occasion to use, or at least 'fool around" with just about every handheld model of G.P.S. that there is. I think that the Garmin e-trex series is the most user friendly of them all. The basic e-trex, the summit, ledgend etc. all have the buttons in the same place and pretty much do the same things, the difference is, some models have more 'stuff' than others. ( That 'rocker switch' on either the ledgend or summit had me baffled for a little while)

I will admit though, I tend to use my G.P.S. a little bit differently than most folks. I tend to use mine for one specific function...That is; to indicate to me where I am right now by way of grid coordinates.

It's my opinion that any function beyond your 'current' location is just gravy.
Old 06-12-2004, 10:43 AM

I am heavily considering purchasing the Garmin Rino 120. I some times hunt alone and like the Rino 120 because it has the ability to send and receive information between other 120 units to relay location information. It also doubles as a two-way. Just in case something happens, I can radio for help and let help find me using the location relay system.
Old 06-12-2004, 08:13 PM

I have an older unit garmin gps38 it dont work as well as it used to but it gets me back when im out exploring new huntin ground
Old 06-13-2004, 04:49 AM
Nontypical Buck

I use a Garmin GPS 12 XL and have found that it does everything I ask of it. This is the second 12 XL I have owned but I have used many others over the years that had been provided by my employer.
Anybody that has a computer interface cable for their GPS may wish to go to the web site for the GPS manufacturer and check for available software downloads, there are occaisionally freebees available that will tweak the performance a bit.
Old 06-13-2004, 07:28 AM
Nontypical Buck

I use a Garmin Etrex Legend, I use it for hunting as well as in the car when going to an area I'm not familiar with. 8 Mb of memory and the ability to download topo data and track info really makes a decent compromise from the more feature rich units, if that's all you need it for. The thing I don't like about the Magellan's is the size, the Garmin is compact and can easily fit anywhere.
Old 06-13-2004, 07:56 PM
Nontypical Buck

I have an older unit garmin gps38 it dont work as well as it used to but it gets me back when im out exploring new huntin ground

Hmmmm...That sounds like someone else I know on here.
Old 06-13-2004, 08:05 PM
Nontypical Buck

etw, There are a multitude of reasons why you G.P.S. is not able to lock on to a signal.

They range from the unit inadvertantly being in the 'demo' mode, weak batteries or just not having a clear view of the sky.

For what it's worth, I've never had a malfunction with a garmin that was not the fault of the operator.

Going to the 'set-up' page and bringing it back to the default settings tend to un-screw most screw-ups.
Old 06-15-2004, 08:36 PM

Garmin etrex Vista. I love it. Go scouting with the topo map installed and explore places I would usually get lost in!
Old 06-16-2004, 12:58 PM
Nontypical Buck

Etrex Legend. Great little unit.
Old 06-16-2004, 06:54 PM
Nontypical Buck

Garmin GPS 72. Like it a lot.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.