Community
Hunting Gear Discussion Clothing, stands, ATV's, optics, scents, calls, etc... read the latest reviews of hot new hunting gear items here.

Opinions on a New Pistol

Old 04-22-2004, 03:58 PM
Fork Horn

Default Opinions on a New Pistol

I've been pondering the idea of purchasing my first pistol, I'm wanting it for the range, and self defense. I'll spend up to $500.00 on it. I was thinking a ruger p93 in a .40 cal. Any and all suggestions would be appreciated. Also if you would list a few mods, for suggested models that would be great. Along with some prices.
Old 04-26-2004, 04:11 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: Opinions on a New Pistol

Whatever you do be sure to get one that feels good in your hand. I think a good caliber would be a 40 or 45 cal.
Old 04-29-2004, 05:05 PM

I like the .45. You will want to test as many as possible to find one that feels good in your hand. I have Heeeeuge hands so the ruger was my best fit. Slapped a set of target grips on it and now it feels perfect! I don't know if you plan on snake shooting but if so, the 45 has a nice shot shell available.
Old 04-30-2004, 10:52 AM
Typical Buck

I have much experience with Ruger firearms and can say w/o reservation they are very fine pistols. They are affordable, reasonably accurate, durable and extremely reliable.
The P-93 would be an excellent choice.
I now own a P-97, their polymer/stainless .45acp offering. They are easily field stripped for cleaning. I opted for the P-97 because I am a big fan of the .45 over the .9mm or the .40S&W and in my opinion it fits the bill for my kind of shooting.
Ammo can be had cheaply, it can be reloaded cheaply. You can have full house loads or reduced power loads for target shooting. Not that you can't do the same with the other 2 cartridges, but if I have to make 1 shot count, I want 230gr's of hot lead and copper not 115-140, flying in the direction of the threat.
The slower velocity of the .45acp also lends itself to inherent accuracy, and IMO a more managable pistol overall.
Outside of the Ruger family of firearms, you may want to consider a 1911-A1 style of pistol, as they offer more options to customize the gun to your personal liking.
A base model of 1911 can be had for the money you are willing to spend and would make a fun hobby to customize. Good Luck
Old 04-30-2004, 11:03 AM

Make sure you can do everything with out moving your hand all over. You should be able to grip the gun move just a finger to slide the safty off and to eject the mag. You don't want to have to rotate the gun to be able to reach the safty or mag release.
Old 05-02-2004, 12:00 AM
Typical Buck

Like Marty said, first make sure that the guns fits you, whatever it may be. Mlaubner also makes some fine points about the .45. If you can find a 45 in you're price-range, go with it.
Old 05-02-2004, 10:45 AM
Giant Nontypical

I have a Ruger P94 in .40 cal.

The only thing I did not like about it was the stock sights I changed them out for a set of Millet sights and they made a big difference.

You can also get the shot shell for the .40 which I will have 1 clip loaded with down on the lease over summer
Old 05-03-2004, 08:48 AM
Fork Horn

You cant go wrong with a Colt .45 Combat Commander
Old 05-07-2004, 08:10 PM

as a retired deputy i would say look for many things.make sure the gun fits your hand.make sure the gun is easy to take apart and clean or repair.make sure the gun does not have too many moving parts.that can only mean more problems.ruger,glock,colt, and baretta are all good guns.the gun winning all the combat shoots is the glock.i have a glock mdl 22,40cal, and have put several thousand rounds thru it without as much as a jam.make sure you also get ammo that is easy for you to shoot accurately.whatevere you get practice and become very familiar with the gun.
Old 05-22-2004, 04:27 PM
Nontypical Buck

I'm a die hard Ruger fan and swear by Ruger firearms.Though I have never owned one of their semi autos (except the MKII's 22's)I have no first hand experience with them.I know several people who have the Rugers and are very happy with them.For self protection at a reasonable price I'd say go with the Glock's.I carry a Baby Glock M-27 in 40 cal. I couldn't ask for a better carry gun.I had Trijicon Night Sights installed.They are the ticket for night time carrying.Like others have mentioned look at several guns. Handle them ,see if they fit you well.All we can do is give you our opinions.It's up to you to see which one fills your needs. I would stay away from the cheaper semi auto's. If you're going to put your life on the line make sure you have a reliable gun in case you need to use it.
Ruger Redhawk

Quick Reply: Opinions on a New Pistol

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.