Community
Hunting Gear Discussion Clothing, stands, ATV's, optics, scents, calls, etc... read the latest reviews of hot new hunting gear items here.

spotting scopes

Old 04-21-2004, 04:13 PM
Typical Buck

Default spotting scopes

I've been doing alot of shooting at the range lately and have decided to invest in a spotting scope. Do any of you guy's have any recommendations on brands, power, etc. so I can see my shots clearly @200, 300 yds? the primary purpose of it would be for shooting at the range, not hunting. Just like bino's I'm sure the Leicas, Zeiss and Swarov's have better performance than some cheaper brands, but I'm willing to invest around $300-$500. I'd like your thoughts, thanks in advance! JDinAB
Old 04-21-2004, 07:06 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: spotting scopes

JD, if you have the opportunity I would highly suggest to try them at the store, what I mean to say is I was at Cabela’s Easter weekend and was very impressed on how they had them all set up side by side. You could make a good comparison of the different brands. What a store!

I have the Leupold Wind River Sequoia 15x-45x angled and I’m somewhat a little disappointed in the field of view at higher magnification. This scope at 15x is very clear and bright but when magnifying to 45x the field of view decreases a considerable amount. Allot more then I thought it would. I had ordered this scope without even looking thru it. They had none in town and I took a chance.

I have used this scope at the range for 100 yd shots and had no problem but have never used it beyond that distance. The scope is well made and I like the rubber armor. It focuses fairly easy and is 100% water-proof. This scope now comes with a carrying case and tripod witch didn’t at the time I purchased mine. Don’t let the word Leupold fool you because this scope is not made in the states, it’s made in Korea, not that I'm taking away from the quality....
Good luck in your purchase.
Old 04-21-2004, 10:35 PM
Banned

Default [Deleted]

[Deleted by Admins]
Old 04-22-2004, 06:03 AM
Boone & Crockett

Ditto on the Nikons and Leupolds considering the price range we are talking about. I have a less expensive Winchester model that I am entirely happy with but the optics are not up to the Nikon or Leupold quality level.
Old 04-22-2004, 10:05 AM
Typical Buck

Trailer...have you not used it past 100 yds. because you haven't tried yet or you feel it wouldn't do you any good? My Zeiss Conquest is 3.5-10X and thats easy for me to see my holes at 100, but impossible at 200. thats where I want the spotting scope to come in. I agree with side by side comparison but the problem with looking at them at a store is, nothing is 200 yds away. The clowns in town won't let you take them outside to compare, so I have already reserved that I'll be buying it on line, either e-bay or Cabelas. JDinAB
Old 04-22-2004, 11:23 AM
Nontypical Buck

JD, I’m not sure if the scope would work well at 200yds and beyond. If you would like I can test the scope and give you the results. This will also give you information if 45x is good enough. What caliber are you intending on shooting? If time permits and the weather is good I will have results for you by Sunday or Monday.
Old 04-22-2004, 03:43 PM
Typical Buck

trailer...To be honest with you, I'm gone on my honeymoon as of Sunday. I'm heading to Vegas for a week then a cruise to the carribbean for another week. I was planning to pick up a spotting scope when I was in the States. I won't have access to a computer till I get back, so your test may not do me any good[] but I thank you for your suggestion. I'd love to hear your results either way because I may still be looking when I get back. Thanks! JDinAB
Old 04-22-2004, 07:10 PM
Giant Nontypical

JD the Nikon Owl spotter and the BAusch and Lomb Elite spotter are built in japan by I believe Light Optical. I had the Elite 15-45x60 and you will see bullet holes out to 300 yards 7mm and 30 cal. It weighed 26oz more or less without the tripod. You can find them on Ebay and some places may have them on closeout. Super spotting scope that is easy to lug around in a hunting situation. The Nikon will probably be 100 bucks more and is the same thing.
Old 04-22-2004, 07:37 PM
Nontypical Buck

JD, congratulation and enjoy the honeymoon. I hope you have as much of a good time on that cruise as we did 2 years ago. It was quite a treat being on that cruise.

If you have the opportunity I would highly suggest to check out prices on spotting scope in the states. I have been comparing prices on scopes and even with the exchange it’s well worth it. Try and bring a price list and do the comparison. You can check it for your self. One more thing, if you do buy a spotting scope and as long as it’s made in the states all you have to pay is the gst and pst. Customs will not charge extra for duty as long as it’s made in the states. Like i said check it out and have a nice trip. I might try and test out the scope sooner if possible and post it.›
Old 04-23-2004, 05:52 AM
Boone & Crockett

Lucky devil. Have fun on your honeymoon and good luck with your scope choices. As always with optics, you get what you pay for.

Quick Reply: spotting scopes

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.