Community
Hunting Gear Discussion Clothing, stands, ATV's, optics, scents, calls, etc... read the latest reviews of hot new hunting gear items here.

spotting scopes

Old 04-23-2004, 10:20 AM

Default RE: spotting scopes

I have a Swarovski STS80 spotting scope and a Nikon XL spotter. The price difference is quite different but side by side up to 35x they are quite the same. After that, the Swaro's are clearer, but over 45x they even start distorting. The Nikon XL costs around $500 or so and well worth ever bit of it. Again, as stated above, visiting a shop that you can compare them side by side is recommended. Mickeyelk
Old 04-23-2004, 07:54 PM
Nontypical Buck

JD, I tested my Leupold scope as best as possible with out going to the range. I printed some black circles at the same dia. as the 22, 25, 7mm & 338 calibers on a piece of paper using the cadd program. I placed them as if they represented 3 shot groups with in a 1” square on 4 different locations. Went to the park and with my range finder (Leica) established the distances as mentioned at 50 yds increments. Worked out pretty good. So this was the results.

Every thing was clear up until 200 yds. 15x power was still good but with the 45x power it started to distort with the heat wave and hard to see the 22 caliber circles.

At 250 yds with the 15x I could see the 7mm and 338 but was hard to see the other 2. With the 45x at 250 yds I was able to see the 7mm and 338 but it was distorted with the heat.

At 300 yds with the 15x it was all a blur and I could barley make out the 338 circle with the 45x.
I hope this helps you out and that I wasn’t to late. You might have to go with a real good quality spotting scope if you plane on using it for distances as you mentioned..
Good luck in your purchase.
Old 04-25-2004, 06:03 PM
Typical Buck

JD In Alberta:
After checking E-Bay and Cabela's check out www.wholesalehunter.net
I purchased my Leupold Wind River 15x45x60mm Straight Kit. It included a little tripod,Hard case with foam padding and a soft case with strap.It was cheaper here than both other places.
Old 04-25-2004, 07:11 PM
Fork Horn

I would look into Alpen They have a great spotting scopes at great prices and have been rated BEST BUY 3 years in a row by Outdoorlife mag.

If you want more info you can contact me Here
Old 05-11-2004, 04:41 PM
Typical Buck

Well I'm back! unfortunately to 6" of snow[:@] Left Miami @85 arrive back in Calgary -2[:@][:@]
I looked for a scope but came home empty handed..I found one I was interested in but declined. It was a Parks 15-60X60 for $399. I looked at it beside a Swaro for $1500 and was impressed. It didn't have the clarity of the Swaro. at 45x and higher but was as good at the lower setting. I wanted to do more comparing but very limited selection in Vegas. We were off to Miami next and didn't find anything in the area we were at. So now I'm back here and searching E-bay and Cabelas. I have read your reviews and comments and appreciate the input and time you took. I'm looking at all of the scopes you recommended. I saw a Browning as well...thats new! I'm starting to cut the list down but still appreciate any other input.
JDinAB
Old 05-11-2004, 09:08 PM
Nontypical Buck

JD, It’s nice to come back to this beautiful Canadian weather of ours. We just got maybe 10” of that heavy snow today. Thought it was all gone, guess not.
Hope you didn’t eat to much on that cruise. Talk about good food.
When I was at Cabela’s they had a Swarovski spotting scope on special. It was in the bargain cave and it was $300.00 dollars off the regular price. I had to hold my self back from buying it. Talk about clear. Takes a while to find what you want but once you get it, it’s well worth the time spent. Good luck in your shopping....