Community
Hunting Gear Discussion Clothing, stands, ATV's, optics, scents, calls, etc... read the latest reviews of hot new hunting gear items here.

digital game camera

Old 03-06-2006, 08:41 PM
Fork Horn

Default RE: digital game camera

I agree that the digitals are the way to go and that you can build a very good digital scouting camera although I have not done it myself. I have three that have been made by other folks that are excellent scouting cameras. You can purchase them at 4 MP and soon 6MP with very good picture quality. I've been told that the digital cameras will have a hard time ever matching the best 35mm cameras for pure print quality but that's not what most deer hunters are after. Paying for enough film and processing for thousands of pictures would get quite expensive.

I agree that you can build them yourself relatively cheap and you can buy real good ones for about $400.

The better cameras will last for up to 9 months on one 9 volt battery, and the AA's can be recharged and will easily fill a 256 mb memory card with life left over.

The cheaper commercial digitals are tough on batteries and cannot match the picture quality of the better cams. They are also not as dependable. I know when I pick up my better cams that they will have many very good pictures but with the cheaper ones I never know what I will get.

I'm testing my 12th digital scouting camera now and can safely say that there is a wide difference between the good and the bad.