Community
Hunting Gear Discussion Clothing, stands, ATV's, optics, scents, calls, etc... read the latest reviews of hot new hunting gear items here.

digital game camera

Old 04-26-2004, 08:30 AM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: digital game camera

I haven't started on mine yet. I'm waiting till the summer when I'm out of school. So in the mean time I'm on the Hags board and Jesse's board trying to learn all that I can.
Old 04-26-2004, 11:33 AM

Seems like quite a few of you are hot on the digital cameras. Dealing with graphics on a regular basis I can honestly tell you that 1 - 2 megapixel is not going to come close to the photo quality you will achieve with a standard 35mm camera. I would think that you would tire of the low resolution quickly and want to upgrade anyway. Every time I try to do things the cheap way I end up kicking myself for not spending a little extra at the beginning to do things right.

I know a couple of people that own Camtrakkers and swear by them. I've seen the kind of images generated from both the standard model and digital. They are amazing! Even the quality of their digital (3.2 Megapixel) is very good for making prints because they have an extra flash that provides plenty of light. That's very important when buying any kind of digital camera device. Since digital cameras are much slower than 35mm, they have trouble capturing detail under low light conditions.

Here's a link if you want to check them out: www.camtrakker.com

They're on sale now too I noticed for the month of April.

Adios,

Cor.

I'm not a tree hugging photographer, I'm a deer hunter. It is used as a scouting tool and the quality means sh!t. The practicality and ease of use far out weighs 35 mm.
Old 04-26-2004, 03:30 PM
Nontypical Buck

only drawback to my digital stealth cam is that it is a battery hog (and that is a big problem) - having to put in 6 AA batteries every 5-7 days could get a pricey as developing 35mm rolls??
I got two pics of deer on 2 sets of batteries. quality of pics was quite good
Old 04-26-2004, 08:58 PM
Nontypical Buck

A homemade cam would run off of the same amount of batteries for a heck of alot longer time. I don't know the exacts ArkansasBowhunter would probably know. I think it depends on the board you use. But I know that it is substatially longer than a week.
Old 04-26-2004, 10:12 PM
Banned

Default [Deleted]

[Deleted by Admins]
Old 07-18-2004, 07:32 AM

Alloutdoors - you are absolutely right.

Early in 2003 I built a 35mm game cam. It was a great experience and it works much better than a Camtrakker that I received for Christmas in 2002. Battery life was a problem with the Camtrakker and it did not want to advance the film all the time. Lots of problems.

My newer home-brew D-380 works perfect every time and the battery life is about twice as good as the store bought cam.

In January of this year I purchased a Sony P-32 digital camera, an HH1 controller board, and an Army surplus first aid kit box. I purchased the controller board at Hagshouse.com, the camera and box on eBay. In just three days I had built the finest game cam I have ever used. The guys over at hagshouse.com are terrific at engineering, designig, and making controller boards. The battery saver circuitry they developed has improved the life of the batteries to about 4 months on one 9V battery. The electronic timing on the camera (controlled by the board) has increased the camera battery life to about 4 months also.

Since January I have built 3 Sony game cams and all work perfect. The 3.2 megapix camera is more than I would ever need for scouting my hunting areas.

Just yesterday I purchased a new Sony P-41 at OfficeMax for $149.99. I ordered a new generation controller board and an Otter drybox from Hag's House. When I'm finished I'll have approx. $230.00 in parts and I really enjoy making the assembly.
Old 07-19-2004, 01:21 PM

only drawback to my digital stealth cam is that it is a battery hog (and that is a big problem) - having to put in 6 AA batteries every 5-7 days could get a pricey as developing 35mm rolls??
I'm getting almost 3 weeks out of a set of 6 AA batteries in my 1.3 digital stealth cam. If I were you and only getting 5-7 days I would seriously think about buying a long life lithium style rechargeable set of batteries.

I really like the 1.3 mp digital stealth cam. I get good battery life, pic quality is good and ease of operation makes it a total package.
Old 07-19-2004, 08:02 PM
Fork Horn

the stealthcams seem to break alot and use bateries like crazy i making my own digital trail cam with a board from pixcontroller off of jesses website lots of hepful folks there if you have any trouble

http://www.jesseshunting.com/forums/...p?showforum=50
Old 03-05-2006, 05:25 PM

Wish I would have read your review prior to buying the unit yesterday. Have you upgraded the unit to an onboard storage card and do you have a hand held LCD viewer to check the photos in the woods? Thanks for any input. I'm a new member and have a note out on the board regarding this unit.
Old 03-05-2006, 05:28 PM

Hey that sound like the cat's meow. Could you send me a photo of one of the finished units? Thanks

Quick Reply: digital game camera

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.