Community
Hunting Gear Discussion Clothing, stands, ATV's, optics, scents, calls, etc... read the latest reviews of hot new hunting gear items here.

Remington or Savage

Old 04-03-2004, 04:26 AM

Default RE: Remington or Savage

I would go along withRuger redhawk and go with a Ruger 77. But between the 2 I would go with a Savage. They may not be the prettiest, but they shoot lik crazy. I have heard alot of comments about Remingtons quality going down hill recently..
Old 04-05-2004, 09:18 AM
PLB

I have owned Remingtons in the past and they have been great rifles. I have never owned a Savage, but the guys at the local shooting range have been raving about how accurate the Savage is.
Old 04-07-2004, 10:32 AM

I would buy the Remington. Many people are butt hurt because of the safty feature on the Remington. It as a key so it will not shoot if you turn it off. I have one and it shoots great. I take it all over in the mountains of Colorado and I have never had a problem. I would think about a differet scope. the Bushnell Banner I would even put it on a 22.
Old 04-13-2004, 10:19 AM

remington that is all i bought/ owned untill the past few years since they are getting cheaper. the last one i bought was a 11-87 sps it is made alot cheaper than the old remingtons. i have swithched to browning and ruger since that. yeah i would think of a different scope 2 leopold is all i buy now i have went through a lot of the cheaper scopes on shotguns and my muzzleloader, but they would probably be fine on a small rifle like a .22 or .22 mag.
Old 04-21-2004, 11:51 AM
Fork Horn

My wife bought me a vanguard for Christmas, and it has been great. Super accurate. I would choose: Weatherby, Remington, Savage.
Old 04-22-2004, 04:18 PM
Fork Horn

Savage!
Old 04-22-2004, 06:44 PM

jdeer-
Personally, I'd go with the Remington just because I've been a Remington owner all my life and have always had good experiences with them. On the other hand, I've also read that the Savage barrels are a higher quality and could be overall, a better quality rifle than the Remington ADL.
My buddy has a Savage 110 with the Simmons scope you're referring to and I can tell you that it's a junker. The scope is about 4 years old and it's totally fogged already...
If I confused you, I apologize! [&:]
Old 04-24-2004, 01:25 AM

I have a Model 700 in BDL. 270. it is great. I have dropped 5 deer over 4 years hunting with it. Never missed. One this year was out 140 yards, exact spot i was aiming. Shot a muskrat off our our pond at about 170, no problem. I would defanitly go with the Remington. I have a VX-II on it and i am very happy with the setup. I am only 15, so im not the best shooter, and i can still hit anything i want to. I have no regrets and i am very happy that I bought high quality right away.
Old 04-24-2004, 05:25 AM

I was faced with the same problem. I own 2 Remington shotguns and 3 remington rifles. I had been looking at the savage 300 win mag in stainless or the fairly new remington CDL. I was torn between the two. A friend of mine just bought a used Savage 300 win mag and was having problems getting it to group. Not a typical problem for Savage as they are usually great right out of the box. He also wanted the new accu-trigger installed on the gun, as the old trigger had a lot of creep to it. When he called Savage they more or less told him to go pound tar. They said any models made prior to (I believe it was) 1994 they will not stand behind because they did not make them. Savage apparantly changed hands around that time, but kept the name. Before all this went down another friend of mine ordered a left hand Savage 300 win mag. For him, they won't install the new Accu-Trigger, for some reason. Also, he's gotten the run around from customer service, and they are charging him an arm and a leg for his left handed model over the right handed version.
On the other hand.......REMINGTON. A friend of mine bought a remington model 700 30.06 in 1964 (I could be off a year or two on the date of purchase, but I believe it was 64) in Japan while he was in the service. He recently called remington to have the gun worked on. This gun has been fired countless times. Remington's customer service was very helpful, in fact what he got back was more than what he wanted done. They installed a new trigger assembly with the keyed trigger lock on the trigger, found on newer Remingtons. They cleaned, polished and repaired the gun back to new-like condition, FOR NOTHING! They also changed the safety which makes you able to open the bolt with the gun on safe. Prior to that the early Remingtons had to be on fire to open the bolts. They will make this change free of charge for anyone with an older Remington. Best of all you don't need an FFL to ship back to Remington using UPS.
Now, I know people are saying Remington is cheapening up their line of guns. I personally would not buy the new model 710, but I would buy any other gun they manufatcuter. After seeing three of my friends deal with Savage and Remington, my mind is certainly with Remington. I have a Remington model 700 ADL synthetic in 30.06, the least expensive 30.06 Remington made at the time I purchased it. I mounted a Leupold VXIII on the gun. All I can say is the gun can shoot better than I can hold. At 50 yards it places a 3 shot group pretty much in the same hole and at 100 yards it's about an inch group. Unless you are shooting for competition, the model 700 unworked from the factory is a great hunting rifle.
Old 04-24-2004, 06:43 AM

Pace Maker- the positive things you said about Remington's customer service doesn't surprise me in the least. I've explained on this site before that I bought the Remington model 710 two years ago without knowing anything about the gun. To make a long story short, I contacted Remington and explained that the trigger was horrible (too much creep and the pull wasn't smooth) and after they couldn't fix it , they exchanged it even up for a brand new 700 ADL.
Other than the model 710, I still love their guns and you just can't beat their customer service.

Quick Reply: Remington or Savage

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.