Community
Hunting Gear Discussion Clothing, stands, ATV's, optics, scents, calls, etc... read the latest reviews of hot new hunting gear items here.

Spotting scopes?

Old 02-20-2004, 05:51 AM
Boone & Crockett

Default Spotting scopes?

I am curious as to how many of you folks use spotting scopes...when you use them and what make and model you use.

Thanks.
Old 02-20-2004, 07:59 AM
Giant Nontypical

Default RE: Spotting scopes?

I use it for long range scouting and the range. I used to own a B&L Elite 15x45 spotter and it was a great spotter for the range but anytime you run the power up mirage and movement became a problem. The scope (now discontinued) weighed right at 26 ounces and had a Bogen Jr tripod that weighed probably I am guessing 5-7 lbs so it was a little bulky to lug around but it ranked right up there according to the experts for what I was using it for. I just picked up a 20 x50 Leupold gold ring spotter( less than 20 ounces ) made a few years back in absolutely mint condition and will get the Leupold mini tripod for it 1 1/2 lbs and use that for game and the range... I think it will work out well and should be easier to lug around.
Old 02-20-2004, 09:07 AM
Boone & Crockett

Thank you for the info oldelkhunter. I recently purchased a spotting scope (relatively inexpensive compared to what you are talking about) and was curious to see how many folks actually used them for extensive scouting and/or during hunting.
Old 02-20-2004, 11:05 AM
Giant Nontypical

Tough to go to the range without one after owning one...for long distance scouting along with a good pair of binos indispensable
Old 02-20-2004, 12:52 PM

I use a spotting scope alot, would be lost without it, I have a cabelas 45x, rubber armored, not sure who makes if for them, and a short tripod, and also a window mount. I don't do any scouting with it, i use my binoculars, i own a good 10 x pair, and when i find animals, sometimes over a mile away, i use the spotting scope to determine if it's worth the walk to get over to the animals, it saves alot of walking. I live in montana, with lots of wide open spaces. I consider a spotting scope essential, especially for plains and foothill hunting, and even in the mountains when elk hunting, i get up high early and late, and look over a bunch of country with binoculars, and use the spotting scope to see if what i think are elk, are actually elk. I don't tend to take the spotting scope in my back pack when i know i'll be creeping through the timber all day long, but it's with me any other time.
Old 02-21-2004, 10:39 PM
Typical Buck

Leupold 15-45x60 Wind River Sequoia suits me fine. Really don't need it in the woods for Elk and Deer.But never leave home without it for Goats,Gophers and at the range.I use it everyday as it is setup on my kitchen table to see the Elk on the other side of the Valley
Old 02-23-2004, 10:08 AM
Boone & Crockett

Thanks folks. This helps with how practical it is going to be for me to use both before and during the season.