Community
Hunting Gear Discussion Clothing, stands, ATV's, optics, scents, calls, etc... read the latest reviews of hot new hunting gear items here.

what kind of radio?

Old 02-15-2004, 04:57 PM

Default what kind of radio?

im looking at some radios (walkie talkie type) just wondering what kind you guys liked the best? there are a lot of different models out there. also what is the maximum range you can use them? thanks a lot
-kyle
Old 02-15-2004, 09:17 PM

Default RE: what kind of radio?

i have 4 of the motorola distance dps.they have a 5 mile range.they have not failed yet
Old 02-16-2004, 09:31 AM
Boone & Crockett

Motorola makes a good product though even they have so many different models that it becomes difficult to know which one to choose. I own several different brands/models and have also done some research into the issue. Let me start off by recommending this website....

www.popularwireless.com

They have a bulletin/message board similar to this one and it is loaded with good info on this very subject. General consensus over there is that Kenwood and Motorola are probably the two best manufacturers though it varies from model to model.

A couple things to think about....

1. Wattage does not determine transmitting distance significantly in UHF (FRS/GMRS) radios regardless of what the manufacturers tell you. A 1 watt GMRS/FRS hybrid radio will not transmit farther in most terrain scenarios than a .5 watt FRS only radio. That is because of the type of radio wave that they use to operate.

2. Anything over .5 watts is a GMRS radio or at best a GMRS/FRS radio hybrid and therefore requires an operating license from the FCC. Cost of the license is $75 but it covers everyone in your immediate family (and then some) and lasts for 5 years. You can find the application for this license at ....

www.fcc.gov

3. Determine which features you think you are going to need and which you are not as there are tons of bells and whistles on the market that have no practical value to the average person in the market for a new radio.

Hope this helps and let me know if you have any more specific questions.
Old 02-22-2004, 07:14 PM
Fork Horn

We use the Motorola Distance radios making drives and hunting the mountains. Sometimes we have trouble with reception but we're close to 1.5 miles over ridges and terrain. Other than that, they work well.