Community
Hunting Gear Discussion Clothing, stands, ATV's, optics, scents, calls, etc... read the latest reviews of hot new hunting gear items here.

Unorthodox camo patterns??

Old 02-03-2004, 03:33 PM
Fork Horn

Default Unorthodox camo patterns??

Has anyone tried the Natural Gear or Predator Camo lines. I believe they would work just as well or better than the other normal patterns like Advantage, Realtree, and Mossy Oak. What is your opinion or experience?
Old 02-03-2004, 04:59 PM

Default RE: Unorthodox camo patterns??

I use Natural Gear and love it. I also have Mossy Oak which works fine early season but I think is too dark once the leaves fall and the woods become much lighter.

I actually got caught walking through the middle of a field by a buck, I squatted down and a few minutes later the buck started feeding again and walked within a few yards of me.
Old 02-03-2004, 09:38 PM
Nontypical Buck

I've used Predator and it works just fine,it really breaks up your outline.
Old 02-03-2004, 09:49 PM
Nontypical Buck

I use ASAT and it works great. I think Predator and ASAT are similar.
Old 02-04-2004, 08:15 AM
Fork Horn

These paterns work the best for big game like deer. The more traditional patterns are not nearly as efective as these on big game. They also work well for ducks and turkey. The three best examples are ASAT, Predator "brown or grey", and Sticks n limbs. They work by breaking up your outline and taking advantage of the way deer see. Experincing one of these pattern while deer hunting is amasing, seeing is beliving, or not seeing in this case. Looking at these patterns up close and in person makes you wonder how they will ever work. They look so different than the "normal" patterns we encounter everyday. The others work by blending in, wich also makes them less versatile. They also tend to be darker in tone. Nateral Gear and some Skyline patterns are some what in between the two types but more towards the blend in type. They are also more versatile than the other blend in types. Blend in types are better suited for duck, turkey and crow hunting.
Old 02-04-2004, 08:33 AM

I use Predator fall gray for most hunting. I have never been sight busted in it and I've been close to some cagey old bucks. I do use darker camo's for hunting turkey from the ground.

For the woods, I think the Predator is hard to beat for deer etc.
Old 02-04-2004, 08:40 AM

I used a Natural Gear hunting coat this year. Seemed to work very well, especially as distance grew. I'll be buying more for the 2004 season. In general, open patterns work better at distance. Busy detailed patterns like Mossy Oak work better at close range.
Old 02-04-2004, 12:36 PM
Boone & Crockett

.....and here I was thinking this post was going to be about patterns like that new Chameleon one that I saw on the Outdoor channel the other day. I have been seeing posts about Predator, ASAT and Natgear almost more often than anything on the big name brands. I think they all work well depending on how, when and where they are used.
Old 02-04-2004, 12:50 PM
Giant Nontypical

Predator is all I wear and have done for a number of years. If predator brand camo was not available I would look to ASAT, as it is very similar. I truly have believed for some time camo that works the best is outline breakup vs blend in, as luck would have so does predator and some others. Also not many traditional camos are geared to my biggame hunting areas, thus predator offered me the best choice. I don't believe one pattern will work all the time for my terrain, as such I have different predator patterns to match the area and seasons I am hunt.
Old 02-05-2004, 09:17 AM

Check out the NEW Mossy oak OBSESSION pattern. I just purchased a set and it looks to be both an excellent blend in as well as breakup pattern.

Quick Reply: Unorthodox camo patterns??

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.