Community
Hunting Gear Discussion Clothing, stands, ATV's, optics, scents, calls, etc... read the latest reviews of hot new hunting gear items here.

Redfield Scope

Old 02-03-2004, 11:48 AM

Default Redfield Scope

Hi everyone. Iam planning to buy a scope for my 30-06 Wenchester. Options available are # 1: A Redfield 3x-9x Acutrak Widefield. # 2: Wetherby 4x-9x Illuminater Scope. Iam inclinned towards the Redfield. please tell mt that is this particular scope worth buying, what is its reputation. should i go for this one or not. Please also tell me that what is it market price in USA.
In anticipation of your highly awaited advices!
Old 02-03-2004, 05:12 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: Redfield Scope

Raja welcome to the forum, I don't know about the new Redfields or even who's making them now. I have several Redfields but they were from the original Redfield company. I will say I had a Old 2x7 Acutrac. I didn't like having to change dials in it or the scope in general.Redfield was still in business back then. I called and asked if it could be made into a regular 2x7 Widefield. They asked me to sent it to them and they sent me a brand new 2x7 Widefield in exchange.I was happy to get rid of the Acutrac.I don't know who's making the scopes for Weatherby. I looked in a gun suppliers catalog who carries Redfield scopes. I don't see any Acutrac listed to give you a price. I'm pretty sure the Acutrac was discontinued when Redfield went belly up??????
Ruger Redhawk
Old 02-04-2004, 03:51 AM

Hi Raja,

I haven't owned a Redfield riflescope for years. Twenty years ago, or so, I had owned a number of Redfield's with the "wide field of view" I think they called Widefield.....but the rear lens looked like a TV screen instead of the round lens normally found on scopes. Over a short period of time everyone of the ones I owned gave me some type of problem. Either cracking, leaking, or reticle failure......and had to be returned to the factory. (It so soured me on that "style of lens".....I haven't owned one since.)

In fairness to Redfield I currently own one of their Waterproof variable spotting scopes....for over ten years......that has performed very well, including four of its years in Alaska's weather.....and has never given me a problem.

I had heard from different vendors, users, etc. that the "irregular shape" of the occular lens gave more than their share of difficulties. Harder to seal, more subject to unequal stress on the lens because of shape, etc. What I do know for sure is the couple of Redfields I had then...that were standard round lenses....worked fine!

Hope this helps.

Dave
Old 02-04-2004, 11:10 AM
Giant Nontypical

Meade owns redfield, weaver and simmons. I owned a few of the regular older redfields all performed very well with no problems. I to had heard the wide angle(or wideview as its called now) type scopes had loads of problems not just Redfield, but bushnell made them once upon a time and discontinued them due to the problems occuring like AK refered too.

Here are some links, hopefully they help you some.

www.meade.com

www.redfieldoptics.com
Old 02-05-2004, 02:03 PM
Nontypical Buck

Most of my Old Refields were the Widefield and never had a problem with them back then or to this day.I had one for over 25 years and sent it to ABO just to have it seviced because of it's age.I guess you can get bad ones in any make. I was always happy with mine. If the original Redfield was still in busines I would buy nothing but them.I'm now into the Leupold kick.
Ruger Redhawk