Community
Hunting Gear Discussion Clothing, stands, ATV's, optics, scents, calls, etc... read the latest reviews of hot new hunting gear items here.

mounts and rings for Tikka T3

Old 01-23-2004, 11:59 AM

Default mounts and rings for Tikka T3

I am wanting to know if I need to get the Tikka/Sako mounts and rings for my Tikka T3. It requires an opti lock mount and rings. Are then any other companies that make the hardware to mount a scope for these guns? Alos Im looking at getting a Bushnell Elite 3200 3-9x40 what size of rings do I need to get??
Cheers!!!!
Old 01-23-2004, 01:01 PM
Giant Nontypical

Default RE: mounts and rings for Tikka T3

I will be using leupold bases that screw directly to the receiver of the t-3.You can then use regular leupold rings.This is much cheaper than the tikka optilock rings and bases and I believe it will be just as sturdy if not more sturdy.
Old 01-23-2004, 01:09 PM

Whats the model number for those mounts or specific name?? I like the idea of it being a bit cheaper as those opti-lock mounts and rings are killer expensive.
Cheers!!
Old 01-23-2004, 03:59 PM
Giant Nontypical

According to my chart the leupold # is 54447.This two piece base set is supposed to fit the tikka whitetail series and the t-3 series.You can then use standard leupold rings.The medium rings should work with the scope that you are using.
Old 01-23-2004, 05:09 PM

Go with the optilock rings and bases.

I have a Sako 75 and a Tikka Whitetail Hunter. Both have the optilock bases and rings. I have also tried Burris Signature bases/rings and Leupold bases/rings on other rifles. I'm happy with the Leupold setup on those rifles but the optilock setup is better.

It's my opinion that the optilock setup is the best implementation out there. Easy to install, rock solid, plastic inserts to grab/protect your scope. Both scopes dropped in and were on the paper from the start. They may cost a little more but are worth it. I wish every rifle maker did the same.
Old 01-23-2004, 05:34 PM
Giant Nontypical

Everyone is entitled to their opinion but I prefer bases screwed directly to the receiver over those held onto dovetails.As for the cost difference here in canada the optilock bases and rings cost $165 while the leupold bases and rings cost $70 for a difference of $95 canadian.Since I don't belive the opti locks are stronger or more dependable I am certainly not going to spend $95 more to buy them.
Old 01-23-2004, 06:24 PM

Is it easier to get a good shot when mounting a scope with the opti-lock mounts and rings. When I mean easier I am talking with fiddling with the mounts ect.. then say with the Leupold mounts and rings. I do agree with you stubblejumper that $95 is alot especially if they do the same but I do not mind spending the extra money to get a proper mount. Does anybody actually have a T3 Lite here that can give me some advice as well. Thanks guys!
Cheers..
Old 01-23-2004, 06:42 PM
Giant Nontypical

It is very simple to mount a scope using either the leupold or optilock bases and rings.The leupold bases also use torx heads on the screws which are more resistant to stripping than other types.My friend just mounted the scope on his t-3 and is very happy with the results.I will be using the leupold bases and rings on my own t-3 stainless varmint rifle.I am mounting a $900 scope on a $1000 rifle so I wouldn't use an inferior set of bases or rings just to save some money either.I certainly don't mind paying extra money if there is something to gain but I don't believe that in this instance there is anything to be gained by spending the extra money.
Old 01-23-2004, 08:07 PM

I wouldn't say that one is more proper than the other, both will perform. Once the scope is mounted with either setup there's no fiddling around needed, so I don't think either will help you get a good shot. That part is up to you. [8D]

The optilock rings have the plastic insert to hold your scope so you don't need the extra step of lapping the rings. That keeps you from putting stress on the scope tube. They line up very nicely, so the alignment rods aren't needed. That's another step off the installation process. The lower half of the optilock ring is screwed into the base from below and then the base slides into the rail already lined up.

My Sako and Tikka installs of new scopes on new rifles required no adjustments to windage and elevation using my Leupold boresighter. Very little was needed at the range as well. That's a testament to the rifle as well as the scope mounting. My Browning on the other hand, with it's Leupold bases and rings, reqired a trip to the range, some shims, the purchase of alignment rods and lapping kit, and another trip to the range. Now that I know better and have the alignment kit, the first trip to the range wouldn't be needed. But for me at the time it was an extra expense.

Leupold makes good rings and bases. They will serve you well. My needing shims was a bummer, but it happens. Must happen somewhat often as Leupold has 'em in stock and sends 'em right out to you. So its not just me. Once they're on and you're sighted in it's over and done with. Both are solid enough for most rigs. I like the Optilocks enough that I would lean more towards a Sako/Tikka purchase over Browning/Winchester just so that I could get them.

Stubblejumper like the Leupolds, I like the Optilocks. I'd be interested in hearing other opinions too. You might try posting in the guns forum for more responses.
Old 01-23-2004, 08:07 PM

Stubblejumper, where did you find the chart for the Leupold rings and bases.
Can I find them in wholesalesports??
Cheers!!

Quick Reply: mounts and rings for Tikka T3

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.