Community
Hunting Gear Discussion Clothing, stands, ATV's, optics, scents, calls, etc... read the latest reviews of hot new hunting gear items here.

Thinking of buying an ATV recommend one!

Old 03-18-2004, 05:57 PM
Fork Horn

Default RE: Thinking of buying an ATV recommend one!

my 95 Polaris Sportmans 400 has lots of power and will go most places some of my In Laws won't. Mostly due to more ground clearance and when in 4x4 mode it has actual 4 wheel drive. On most machines only 2 or 33 wheels ever turn.

My next machine will be a Bombardier - probably a Quest around the 400 range. They are VERY low maintenance and ride very nice.
Old 03-18-2004, 06:13 PM
Fork Horn

I forgot to mention to get a bigger winch preferably a 2200#. When we go we go in some extreme places and the winches get used constantly. Honda had problems with their Rubicon (unable to pull in hard going as too high of gearing) so check these out very thoroughly before buying.
Old 03-18-2004, 08:48 PM
Giant Nontypical

Honda had problems with their Rubicon (unable to pull in hard going as too high of gearing) so check these out very thoroughly before buying.
What is your source of information?How about posting a link to your source.We have had no problems dragging whole moose through swamps with our rubicons.Low range provides plenty of torque for pulling loads well over the tow ratings on the rubicon.
Old 03-20-2004, 04:33 AM

stubble i would like to see the source of that also.

I will give polaris one thing ..............they have great marketing tactics and that is it! they advertise !!!!! like i have said many times before if i was given a polaris i would trade it for a honda!
Old 03-23-2004, 02:19 AM
Giant Nontypical

Honda!!
Old 03-25-2004, 02:02 AM
Typical Buck

Arctic Cat!! Enough said. If it's not, surf all makers web sites and compare the features. Get on a couple and see which has the best ride. If you know a few folks with different machines, hook them up to something and see which one pulls the best. After doing this, you'll like the Cat.
Old 03-26-2004, 10:06 AM

Arctic Cat!! Enough said. If it's not, surf all makers web sites and compare the features. Get on a couple and see which has the best ride. If you know a few folks with different machines, hook them up to something and see which one pulls the best. After doing this, you'll like the Cat.
HMMMMMM why not just buy a suzuki? suzuki makes artic junks engine!
features don't make it dependable. you know i see LOTS of old honda three wheelers still going. well gotta go work on my kawasaki cause it's broke good thing i got a honda for my primary atv.
Old 03-26-2004, 07:41 PM

Anyone who tells you a 500CC or bigger is a waste, is full of crap! That is because they probably don't own on or they are little men. I would buy only 500CC +. If you are worried what it is going to cost about putting gas in a big one then you can't afford one. Buy the biggest ATV you can afford, all brands are good. that's my 2 cents
Old 03-31-2004, 09:47 PM
Fork Horn

I just bought a new Kodiak 450 last week and I love this thing.
I would definately get one with hi-lo and locking diff, comes in real handy.
Old 04-01-2004, 05:21 PM
Typical Buck

I agree with tnichols. I'd rather have too much power than not enough. Its obvious how everyone feels about which brand, but when I bought mine, I looked at features, not brands. I wanted big power, a locking diff, the ability to switch from two to four wheel drive, a hi-lo tranny and a good guage cluster. With all of the competition in the atv market, any junk brands just wouldn't last long in this business. The features that I listed make a good atv, so find which atvs that have these and make your decision from there.

Quick Reply: Thinking of buying an ATV recommend one!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.