Community
Hunting Gear Discussion Clothing, stands, ATV's, optics, scents, calls, etc... read the latest reviews of hot new hunting gear items here.

Thinking of buying an ATV recommend one!

Old 02-24-2004, 07:02 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: Thinking of buying an ATV recommend one!

I have a Polaris 325 magnum 4X4...auto.....if there's some where it can't go....then trust me...I don't need to be there...
Old 02-24-2004, 08:32 PM

I am a die hard honda man, there is nothing that a honda machine cant do. To bad they still dont make the old 300's because they were the best bikes ever built. I am from Kentucky and we do some hardcore riding down here and if you aint got a honda you aint got anythang worth talking about.
Old 02-28-2004, 09:49 PM

i love my honda rancher 350. the only thing that stops it is the 2 feet of powder we have. otherwise she goes anywhere. im always pullin out my buddies wheelers. my opinon, get what u like.
Old 03-01-2004, 02:01 PM
Nontypical Buck

i agree with ya wayne
ruger-u may b rite about the winch part. but so far i have ben in a crick so deep that there was water up 2 the back of the seat (broke through the ice). i just put it in 4 wheel drive and kept going forwards and backwards until i walked out of it. ( i also like the overdrive polaris has that is a big help)

let us know on wat u end up getting 14 mercs
Old 03-02-2004, 02:48 PM
Typical Buck

I have a yamaha kodiak 400. It's bullet proof. It's worth a look. One thing to keep in mind is that if you will be doing any work like hauling and towing IRS in the rear is not as good as a solid axle. It will squat to much. True work horse ATV's have a solid axle. I have friends that ride polaris, they are alright, but suck more gas, wiegh a ton more and usually have some quirks here and there. Take a look at a Polaris and notice that all the zerk fitting are visible. They are sealed on the yamaha's.

However, keep in mind, they are all good these days. (well, except for Arctic Cat, j/k) the new tech keeps getting better.
Old 03-02-2004, 05:10 PM

I've seen alot of people commenting on how helpless 2wd models are. I've only ever owned one quad and it was Arctic Cat 300 2x4. It left me wondering why anyone ever spent the extra money on a 4x4. Mud, snow, or water if it isn't more than snorkel deep it will go right through. Better than many of the 4wd's I ride with. However, I did ride a friends polaris 250 and actually got stuck in a small rut--wasn't even muddy. 4x4' s are great for towing things or plowing but are just overkill for trailriding or hunting.
Old 03-02-2004, 05:46 PM
Giant Nontypical

If you don't think that you need a 4x4 quad you don't know what muskeg is and have never had to climb muddy or snowy slopes.You also won't drag a moose or elk in much mud or snow with a two wheel drive.
Old 03-02-2004, 05:59 PM
Nontypical Buck

i hear ya stubble there is no way u can ride in the snow if it is 6 inch deep with a 2 wheel. i just treid it a month ago on a 400ex. and well it wasnt exactly fun driving around in 1st and 2nd gear. and leaning as far back as possible 2 get any traction there was. jmo though
Old 03-03-2004, 11:08 AM

You could call me just the ATV king!!! My user name is what I ride, a DS650.. My family has 5 quads, 3 utilites, 2 sport. All of my family and friends have mostly utility. I study quads and read magazines and reviews on them for a hobby. And I have intensely rode just about all of them..

My suggestions for a bigger bore utilty would have to be on the Honda or yamaha side. A little more money for one would totally be worth it! I like the feel of the Kodiak model as far as a smaller-size utility. of course a 650 is nice, but not always needed... My grandma has the new Grizzly 660 and I have rode it a lot. This quad was designed great! The best smoothest ride you will ever have! I have rode it in the sand dunes and mountains extensively.. With its 660 power you dont even 'need' the 4x4! The diff. lock is nice but if you are in a situation where you NEED the 660, 4x4, and diff. lock you Probably shouldnt be there!!

The Honda Rincon 650 is also a good competitor for this Yamaha. Just please dont go with the Polaris, of course it will be great for a lil' bit, but problems are to come...
Old 03-03-2004, 08:22 PM
Nontypical Buck

i dont see why sum ppl arent liking polaris. my uncles has been completely under water twice (12 feet) and after letting the air filter dry it started right back up. a friend of mine drove right through a barb wire fence and just rolled it and nuthing ever happened except a hell of a time flipping it back over. go to their website and they compare yamaha and honda and suzuki in each type of 4wheeler. a 250 trailblazer had no problem pulling my friends 500 sportsman back when it ran out of gas. i have never seen ne problems occur with ne polaris i have seen

Quick Reply: Thinking of buying an ATV recommend one!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.