Community
Hunting Gear Discussion Clothing, stands, ATV's, optics, scents, calls, etc... read the latest reviews of hot new hunting gear items here.

Thinking of buying an ATV recommend one!

Old 02-15-2004, 05:59 PM

Default RE: Thinking of buying an ATV recommend one!

i would stick with a 500 or better unless you like crawling up hills in first or second gear. it depends where you are going to use it and what time of the year. in pa. all we have is hills so anything less and you will not be happy. i ride a suziki 4 wheel drive. a 2 wheel drive in the snow is useless.
Old 02-16-2004, 04:24 PM
taw

As someone else was saying, the outdoor channel rates all atv's and the kaw. 700 was rated the best all-around atv for 2004. I myself, have the prairie 360 and love it. For my needs I couldn't see spending the extra money for the 700.
Old 02-21-2004, 10:48 PM
Typical Buck

I am a red Blooded American but damn it Honda does a heck of a job with almost everything.My Foreman is a real work horse.Plows the deepest snow,totes a full size trailer around the compound and does a real nice job anywhere I want to hunt.
Except for my Husky chainsaw all my mowers,pumps and generators are Honda.
Old 02-22-2004, 02:34 AM
Giant Nontypical

Well recommending which ATV has been pretty well covered already.

All i can say is get whatever you are most comfortable with and be sure to be careful.
Old 02-22-2004, 08:16 AM
Spike

All the replies above really cover it , I have a Foreman 450S and really like it. Use it for plowing , pulling a 6X10 trailer full of ice fishing gear and 3 guys at 200lbs plus each on the lakes every year chasing pike and it'll do 45 with no mods. By myself at 225 it moves along at 54 across the fields when going hunting. And it works the food plots great in 1st or 2nd. Overall I think Honda puts out a good product, just as the others do but when it comes down to resale and dependability, I think Honda beats the rest.
Old 02-22-2004, 09:22 AM
Nontypical Buck

ORIGINAL: Shootem up870

i really dont think u will ever need a winch for it. i havent yet and have gotten into sum pretty rough sh*t with it

I have to disagree. If you have one of the Big Boys you better have a winch.I've buried my 500 a couple times. Without the winch it probably would still be there.Once I was on a muddy firebreak when it just sunk.A friend came with a big tractor to pull it out.The tractor even grunted pulling my Sportsman out. The next week I had a Warn #2000 winch,which has paid for itself a few times.I guess you've been lucky. Trust me your day is coming when you'll have second thoughts about not needing a winch.

Ruger Redhawk
Old 02-22-2004, 09:32 AM
Nontypical Buck

I agree with Ruger.

I haven't had to use my winch many times (except for plowing), but the few times I have needed it, I glad it was there. Doesn't even need to be hairy situations. I was on my property in the middle of winter and couldn't get up a steep incline (bare, frozen ground - basically like ice) and had no other way to get where i was going. They also work well for moving downed trees or other obsticles.
Old 02-23-2004, 08:05 PM

I will purchase my first ATV next month and after spending numerous hours researching, reading reviews, and discussing different makes and models I have decided to buy a Suzuki Vinson automatic. I've ridden Honda and Polaris and honestly believe the Vinson is at the head of the pack. (It also was named best in class.) Go to www.atvtv.com and check out their reviews on the 500's. (It also includes the Kodiak 450.) Check out ATV Outdoors bulletin board. There you will find a lot of good information on all models.
Old 02-24-2004, 06:25 AM

Ive driven and owned 2 atv's so far and i would recomend either a yamaha grizzly 660 or a polaris sportsmen 700 they both served me well
Old 02-24-2004, 06:41 PM
Typical Buck

Arctic Cat..............you won't go wrong. I have the 400 4x 4 and love it. The ride is very comfortable. It is a 2004 and has push button 4wd (wasn't crazy about that at first) love it now. It's got the 2' receiver hitch which comes in handy and it very practical. Largest fuel tank in its class, most ground clearance/wheel travel. Has high/low range and a boat load of torque. I have a 2500# Warn that is a life saver for all types of jobs. I have used it once to get back up a hill that my buddy on a Honda wouldn't even attempt. And all this was out the door at a modest $5250.00 with the winch mounted and complete. Good deal? Same price every day.

Quick Reply: Thinking of buying an ATV recommend one!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.