Community
Hunting Gear Discussion Clothing, stands, ATV's, optics, scents, calls, etc... read the latest reviews of hot new hunting gear items here.

What is the best way to mark a path to your stand?

Old 01-23-2004, 09:07 PM
Spike

Default RE: What is the best way to mark a path to your stand?

Gentlemen, be familiar with the area you hunt in. Local land marks like a fungus stump, a fallen tree, a dip in the ground, a terrain feature that leads you towards your stand will help you find what you are looking for. I have no problem navagating our lease at 4:00 AM, however I've been hunting there for 10 years. Recon your hunting area and become one with the land.
Old 01-24-2004, 08:51 PM
Nontypical Buck

If I have a stand up I usually know the area well enough that I don't need to leave a marked trail or use the gps to get to it. If I'm hunting a new area that I haven't thouroughly scouted and become familiar with I'll set a waypoint on the gps and mark the position on a topo map. I wouldn't mark my trail on public land and if lucky enough to hunt private land I would get permission from the landowner before marking a trail. Don't forget, your in the deer's backyard and they know it better than you know the back of your hand. I've seen deer avoid a marked trail like the plague.
Old 01-27-2004, 11:42 AM

I use the diamond grade sheeting thats used for street signs. I attach them to clothes pins or attach the strips directly to the brush. This is the most reflective material made. works better than the bright eyes. I have an endless supply of these scraps due to my place of work. I dont like to use flagging tape because its so highly visible during daylight.
Old 02-04-2004, 09:57 PM
Nontypical Buck

Bright eyes if I need something to find my way in,but I like to just learn the lay of the land.
Old 02-07-2004, 04:45 PM

one thing to remember about the bright eyes. We had a few members in our club that used them after acouple of years they had so many in the woods they were always getting crossed up but it was kinda funny listening to them come back to camp grumbling about getting off on the wrong trail
Old 02-08-2004, 12:01 AM

In Jersey here,I`ve had the same tree that I put my portable up in,every year, for 15 years.Its 3/4 of a mile in, and I can find it 2:00 in the morning, walking backwards, blindfolded.On the other hand I also hunt in the Adorondacks,so I have many places to hunt.To me, the bright eye tacks are the ticket.I will walk down a hiking/snowmobile trail,find some crossings,mark it with tape on the trail,and if I see what I like scouting around off the trail.I will put it in my GPS and mark the trail every 25 yds or so with the bright eye tacks.Works great so far for me.
Old 02-08-2004, 03:23 PM

For the stands that I'm not use to walking to in the early am, I use Bright Eye's thumb tacks. Some, I have trails cleared well enough that I can get to them with my eye's closed (almost).