Community
Hunting Gear Discussion Clothing, stands, ATV's, optics, scents, calls, etc... read the latest reviews of hot new hunting gear items here.

Safes - Attach them to something?

Old 01-07-2004, 01:39 PM

Default Safes - Attach them to something?

Considering buying a large gun safe. Question is, do you attach these things to the house or just rely on the heaviness of the safe to keep someone from walking off with it?
Old 01-07-2004, 02:14 PM
Boone & Crockett

Default RE: Safes - Attach them to something?

I have a safe that weighs 150 pounds, so I bolted it into the wall. If it's more than a 300-400 pounds, most burglars probably won't bother trying to haul it out.

Also keep in mind that the light-weight safes can pose a tipping hazard if they're not achored securely.
Old 01-07-2004, 06:56 PM

Hi guys,

I'm cheating a little...and just copied this portion of a post I made under the thread - gun safes and floor support:

An additional, worthwhile, "reinforcement" that you might want to consider is in an "anchoring system". A method of securing the safe itself to something substantial in the home. You'd think the weight of the safe, with contents, would be deterent enough. But they are not. A professional thief with a little time, commercial grade dolly, and particularly with some help....can both pry simple screws/bolts from studs....and wheel it out. (If you can get it in...they can get it out!) So a steel attachment (not susceptible or accessible to hardened bolt cutters) imbedded into steel reinforced concrete....might be indicated. If you believe that you live in an area where exposure to this kind of a burglary is unlikely....you could choose not to bother. That's a question you need to answer for yourself.

I have actually read of numerous burglaries that involved both prying bolts from wall studs, (notoriously weak for anchoring purposes), and wheeling them out on a dolly. Even a heavy safe isn't much prevention from a pro with a little time and the desire to get it! A good anchor system really does make a difference.

Good luck with your decision!

P.S. For anyone with a finished basement, concrete floor, and humidity control.....bolting directly into steel anchors in steel reinforced concrete is the best solution. Especially if the anchors are large, well embedded, and directly under the safe itself! The concrete work compared to the cost of a good safe, and even more so its contents....can be very insignificant. (I also believe some home owners insurance policies provide a discount....or rebate....for homes whose valuables are so secured. So it may even help fund the "improvement".) Just a few thoughts!
Old 01-08-2004, 04:48 AM
Dominant Buck

It wouldn't be "safe" if you didn't anchor it to something , regardless of it's weight .
Old 01-08-2004, 07:52 AM

Thanks for the input! I have not started shopping so the next question is do any of the reputable brands come with anchoring kits, systems or compatibility (ie pre-drilled holes, etc.)?
Old 01-08-2004, 08:41 AM
Nontypical Buck

I agree no matter how much it weighs i would still anchor it to something. I bought a Cannon gun safe several months ago and it came with the holes pre drilled so that you could anchor it but it didn't have any hardware with it. I went to the local hardware store and bought some lag bolts and anchored it to the wall and the floor. Now i think my safe is safe
Old 01-08-2004, 03:34 PM

I think most of the metal gun safes on the market today come with predrilled holes, and/or "knockouts" that allow for anchoring systems. Some come with simple hardware, others don't.

One of the simplest and most secure....above "grade" safes that I saw installed was done by simply running four short lengths of steel cable through the bottom of the safe and attached to fasteners (but not until after installation). In turn these cables were attached to small square steel plates on the other end. The "steel anchor plates" were emplaced when the concrete was poured. After the concrete cured the safe was move on top....the cables ran inside through the "bolt holes" and fastened and tightened using the fasteners. Incredibly cheap....and strong. Short of someone busting out the concrete floor....that safe wasn't moving!

And for those that are indeed truly serious about safes....there is at least one company I know that installs their safes "below grade" when the concrete is being poured. It is accessed through a flush mounted hardened steel locking system. The contents are stored underground on a "lazy susan" style configuration that turns to allow access to all the contents. It is not cheap....nor easily installed as an afterthought. But it is very secure. Overkill for most home owners!

And finally, for someone on a very tight budget, that doesn't give a hoot about looks....but wants something to secure valuables in either a basement, garage, or out of sight storage compartment....don't overlook "roadside construction boxes". They are very tough, cost effective, can be portable....or anchored....and will secure your valuables as well as the best finished safes going for much more money!

A little of something for everyone!
Old 01-09-2004, 09:36 AM

Mine is probably close to a 1000 lbs loaded and even empty at 754lbs it took three of us about an hour to get it in with a industrial dolly. now you add my alarm system in and i don't worry much about any yahoo getting it.
i doubt that they will get in it without a cutting torch and even then they must get past my alarm. shut my power off? nope! battery back up!
audible and calls the sheriff's office plus my redneck good old country folk nieghbors are better for response than my sheriffs dept.

my old gun boxes (as i call them) were cheap light wieght homaks. they were bolted to the wall but i never felt secure other than keeping my kids safe. i fell very secure with my safe just sitting alone.
Old 01-09-2004, 09:47 AM

Hey soarkrebel,

You might make a real thief think you got something worth stealing!
Old 01-09-2004, 12:12 PM

akbound one mans junk is another mans treasure.

I got the bigger safe and alarm cause i am worried about thugs. but i am serious my country nieghbors take care of each other . if the alarm goes off they come . i love country folk!

Quick Reply: Safes - Attach them to something?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.