Community
Hunting Gear Discussion Clothing, stands, ATV's, optics, scents, calls, etc... read the latest reviews of hot new hunting gear items here.

Safes - Attach them to something?

Old 01-10-2004, 11:18 AM

Default RE: Safes - Attach them to something?

I bought a Cannon safe a few months ago. I have not moved it into it's final spot yet but have put my guns in it. It weighs 500+ lbs so someone will have to do alittle work to get it. I am still undecided how I will anchor it down.
I do know that my firearms and family are safer now then when I used the old glass doored wood gun cabinet.
Old 01-12-2004, 05:24 PM
Nontypical Buck

By all means anchor your safe.When I was a sprinkler Fitter we used Hiliti Drop in's. They come in 3/8" and 1/2" maybe even bigger.We used to hang 6" sch.40 pipe full of water hung from the concrete slab.Never had a problem using them. I have my safes anchored with the 1/2" D.I's.Not only for security reasons but safety reasons like. The weight of the door could possibly topple the safe.The harder you make it for the thug the better off you'll be.I wouldn't use lag bolts in wood. To easy to pry out. If you don't have a concrete floor you'll have to figure a better way to anchor your safe.
Ruger Redhawk
Old 01-12-2004, 05:41 PM
Nontypical Buck

ORIGINAL: soarkrebel

i doubt that they will get in it without a cutting torch and even then they must get past my alarm. shut my power off? nope! battery back up!
audible and calls the sheriff's office plus my redneck good old country folk nieghbors are better for response than my sheriffs dept.

Soark,
I guess you forgot to mention your pit Bull with aids as another back up. What about that booby trap shotgun you have rigged up?A theif doesn't stand a chance at your house.The 33.00 I send to my alarm company is probably the best spent money after buying my safe..You can never be to careful.

Please don't forget to unarm your booby trap before opening your safe.We would miss your comments here.LOL.
Ruger Redhawk
Old 01-12-2004, 07:04 PM

Hey soarkrebel,

Now that I got the other details.....what was your address and work schedule again!

THANKS BUD in advance[>:]
Old 01-13-2004, 03:10 PM
Nontypical Buck

My old (about 20 years) Browning gun safe is pretty heavy... especially the door. It must be anchored to prevent possible tippage when the door is opened. Seeing that I've always had slab on grade homes here in Florida, all I do is bolt it to the back / side wall with lag bolts. Never had a problem yet. If thieves want it they better bring help as it weighs about 650 lbs. empty.
Old 01-14-2004, 07:45 AM
Fork Horn

I don't know what gun safes cost down there in the US, but the good ones are mighty expensive up here in Canada. El cheapo, lagged and alarmed - good enough for my piece of mind.
Old 01-14-2004, 08:06 AM
Nontypical Buck

Mine weighs over 1100 empty. I don't have it bolted. If I lived in an area where I thought it was a problem, I probably would. Heck mine is still on the wood stand that is came on....it was hard enough to get the thing in the house, and at the time I didn't even want to think about trying to unbolt that...LOL. Mine does have pre-drilled holes in the bottom so it can be mounted if I ever decide I need to.
Old 01-17-2004, 10:02 PM
Nontypical Buck

ORIGINAL: StealthyOne

I don't know what gun safes cost down there in the US, but the good ones are mighty expensive up here in Canada.

Down here you can find good buys on safes.Last week at Wal*mart they had Cannon safes (approx 24 gun safes) for 643.00(American). Best time to buy is after Christmas and they want to clear them out.My hunting partner and I both bought one of these Cannons.These Cannons had a couple of minor scratches and they knocked off another 50.00,so we got them for under 600.00.The worst part was loading them on the trailer and driving home. We spent close to two hours securing them for the 200 mile ride.Those drop in's I mentioned in my other post. Home Depot has them for those interested.The 1/2" size are 1.28 ea.

Ruger Redhawk
Old 01-17-2004, 11:06 PM

Man tell some folks some of your other security devices and they tell the world!
and then some try and take advantage of the knowledge!
Old 01-18-2004, 01:23 PM
Nontypical Buck

ORIGINAL: soarkrebel

Man tell some folks some of your other security devices and they tell the world!
and then some try and take advantage of the knowledge!

Soark, I guess I owe you an apology.I shouldn't have mentioned your Pit Bull and your booby trap you have set up. I think it would be easier dealing with your Redneck neighbors then that Aids infected dog you have If you had more then Remington's it might be worth taking the chance.
I'd be afraid you have a bunch of 710's.LOL.
Ruger Redhawk

Quick Reply: Safes - Attach them to something?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.