Community
Hunting Gear Discussion Clothing, stands, ATV's, optics, scents, calls, etc... read the latest reviews of hot new hunting gear items here.

GPS or Compass, which do you prefer?

Old 12-31-2003, 06:49 AM

Default GPS or Compass, which do you prefer?

I own both, which would you use in the wildernessfor hunting, scouting, I like the GPS for finding area's that I hunt, but I learned on the compass, and enjoy using both. So, if you had to pick, which one?

Dr. Mike
Old 12-31-2003, 08:03 AM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: GPS or Compass, which do you prefer?

I also own both. I like to use the gps to maintain track data and to input notes during my scouting and hunting. For maintaining my course and reference I use the compass. They're both tools I would personally not go into the woods without the compass though. Now here's a question, for all who own a GPS, how many use the full capability of the unit or are they happy with the "goto" being what they use most?
Old 01-04-2004, 09:59 PM
Nontypical Buck

I use all the tools that are available to me.

I start by locating a 1;24,000 scale topo map of the area I plan on being in. Then I draw a grid on it if it does not already have one.

When I head out, I bring a lensatic compass, GPS, grid reader and map.

When I get to wherever it is that I'm gonna get out of the truck, I will generally turn on my GPS and while the GPS is locking on to the satelites, I will orient my map with the compass. Then when I have a current location displayed on the GPS, I will find and mark my current location on the map.

Usually, I will have studied the map PRIOR to heading out, and will have a general idea as to where I want to go. I can either enter that locations coordinates as a "go-to" point, or I can just head of in the direction that I want to go and take a fix from time to time and orient myself. Usually a straight line "go-to" route is not the best or easiest way to get somewhere.

I tend to use the compass about as much as I do the GPS. I do what is called a "resection"...Many folks know it as a triangulation.

Here's a "plug" for my new book It is scheduled to hit the book shelves on March 1st.

It explaines how to read topography, put a grid on your map, and understanding grids and grid coordinates. It also comes with a grid reader, a full size topographical map and plenty of illustrations. There is a whole chapter dedicated to finding direction with and without a compass. Resection (triangulation) is explained using both a simple stick OR by using your compass.

Many folks carry a GPS and a compass, but never really realize the full potential of either. Knowing where you are at all times, or at least being ABLE to find out where you are at all times is one of the greatest skills an outdoorsman can have. Having the confidence to go anywhere and get BACK is a skill that can not be taken away.
Old 01-05-2004, 12:21 AM
Nontypical Buck

i started out with the map and compass, mostly use a silva compass because they are a lot easier to use then a lensatic. i have been using this combo for many years and have become proficient with it. now i also carry a gps along with the map and compass. i have a program that lets me print out my own topo maps, including the grid lines, which makes it easy for me to located my postion on the map with the gps. i tend to use the compass a lot, i normally take a heading off the gps and put it on the compass. then i will update that reading as i go along. once you learn map reading it is easy to locate postions, directions of travel, with a compass or gps.
Old 01-11-2004, 01:37 AM

Being in the military, I am trained on both, I prefer a Gps for ease of use, but you gotta keep a compass and a map, and know how to use both. You dont want to be relying on your GPS to get you somewhere without using a map to check your route so you know where your at. A compass takes some training and practice, but once you are good with it, it will suprise you how easily you can figure out where you are at and where you need to go.
Old 01-16-2004, 07:49 PM
Typical Buck

Though I use and enjoy my GPS, my compass goes
with me every time I go to the woods...no batteries[:-].
Old 01-19-2004, 09:41 AM
Boone & Crockett

Same here. I carry both though I probably do not need either for the areas I normally frequent. I believe the compass to be a bit more reliable considering the type of sources you are relying on for each...though I love some of the features on my GPS as well.
Old 01-24-2004, 06:27 PM
Fork Horn

Guys, I'm not very technical. Can you tell me in general terms, what are typical uses of a GPS and what are some of the simple to use models?
Old 01-24-2004, 08:33 PM
Nontypical Buck

There are many uses for the GPS, the function that is probably the most frequently used is the waypoint. When you enter the woods you set a waypoint and when your ready to go back you can be guided to the point that you entered. You can also set waypoints to stand locations, etc. I like to use mine for maintaining track data, and notes while hunting, scouting, fishing, hiking, etc. There are many models to choose from, from the real no frills to more options than you'll probably ever need. I personally use both a compass and the GPS while in the woods. Probably the most basic unit is the Garmin Etrex for around $100 and the prices go up from there.
Old 01-24-2004, 09:22 PM
Nontypical Buck

tennhunter, I would like to address your question about typical uses.

The concept of the G.P.S. is simple enough, the logistics behind making it work is a whole nother topic.

But the idea is this;

A G.P.S lets you know where you are Right now... The thing is, that in order to be able to appreciate where you are right now...you must either have a map...or have saved a few places in it's memory so that you can get some sense of where you are in relation to other places that you are familiar with.(Waypoints)

Here is an excerpt from my book, "Don't get Lost"

There are, however, a few things that are consistent in all G.P.S. units…They all have the ability to give you your current location. They all can mark a location that you have been, or would like to go to (waypoint). They all have the ability to indicate how far away a waypoint is from your current location and which direction to go in order to get there (within reason – some only measure out to 600 - 700 miles). And just about all units can measure elevation, the exception being some of the very old models.

These are the areas that we will be discussing. There are a few other features that are pretty consistent in all units, such as the ability to give date, time, sunrise and sunset times, battery power indicator etc, We will not discuss these features as their function is pretty obvious and needs no explanation.

There are also a number of computer programs available that can generate maps. Once you have learned how to navigate with a full sized map, you may find that one of the many electronic mapping programs will suit your needs. Just remember that the actual size and quality of your map will be limited to what your home computer will produce. I tend to prefer the maps that are generated by the United States Geological Service and the United States Department of Agriculture.

These maps are readily available to the public, and are very reasonably priced - usually between $4.00 - $8.00 each. Of course, the individual prices may vary a little from region to region, but generally speaking, they are fairly inexpensive. Depending upon your location, it should be a fairly straightforward effort to obtain the map or maps of whatever areas you are interested in.

The Chamber of Commerce, Forestry Service, or Agricultural Service in the county you are interested in should be able to sell you the maps you want, or tell you who can. Before you call or visit, you should have a good idea of the location you want a map for. For example, the George Washington National Forest is so large, it requires some ninety eight 1:24,000 scale maps to cover it all.

Using your G.P.S….There are two ways to operate your G.P.S. while you are in the woods. I refer to them as “random” (without a map), and “specific” (with a map).

For the purpose of this lesson, most of our effort will be centered on the “specific” method. But it wouldn’t be fair to the folks who make G.P.S.s if we didn’t talk a little bit about the random method.

A few good examples of the “random” method are:
· Marking your truck as a waypoint at the beginning of a hike…then later on using it as a go to point
· Marking deer sign as a waypoint
· If you were visiting folks in an unfamiliar town, you might mark your friends house as a waypoint and use the “go-to” section to find your way back from the store.

The most significant difference between the “random” and “specific” methods is: while in the random mode, you must have already been to a location and marked it – then, the only significance it has is, you can get back to it. You have little or no information about your surroundings other than what you might have remembered while getting there.

The specific mode, on the other hand, allows you to pinpoint your location on a map, assess your surroundings, and determine where you would “like” to go, and the best route to get there. It also gives you the option of entering a waypoint even though you have not physically been there before (editing a waypoint).

Before we continue, there are a few functions on your G.P.S. that you should get familiar with. You may need to refer to your owner’s manual for the specifics on how to do these.

Learn How To:

Find the screen with your current location
Mark a waypoint
Edit a waypoint
Operate the “go to” a waypoint page
Use the “set-up” option to change Datum, Position format and units of measurement

Once you have learned how to do the items listed, you are essentially ready to head out and put every thing you have learned to practice.
There are many different models on the market to choose from. They all provide the basic functions. It's easy to want the "latest and greatest and most up to datest" model, but more bells and whistles tends to make them very hard to understand.

Your other question; What models are simple to use...I would stay away from a magellan. You might think about starting with a Garmin "Gekko" or an "E-trex". They are both pretty easy to understand and navigate through the various screens.

Better yet, if you know someone who has one, take a little time and learn the basics of using one...Then go out and buy one. The Garmin "Ledgend" and "Summit" are excellent units for someone who has had a little experience with G.P.S.s in general.

The most common mistake that new G.P.S. users make is thinking that a G.P.S. is some kind of silver bullet and that it will be the answer to all of their questions. But in reality, it often makes the user ask more questions than are answered. As a result, the G.P.S. is often either left at home or relegated to one function...That is; Marking your truck as a "go to" point so that you can walk in a straight line to it at the end of a day in the field.

Quick Reply: GPS or Compass, which do you prefer?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.