Community
Hunting Gear Discussion Clothing, stands, ATV's, optics, scents, calls, etc... read the latest reviews of hot new hunting gear items here.

GPS or Compass, which do you prefer?

Old 01-24-2004, 09:40 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: GPS or Compass, which do you prefer?

I will also add; If you are already proficient with a compass and map, then learning to use a G.P.S. will be a snap.
Old 01-25-2004, 12:10 PM
Fork Horn

Thndrchiken & Dave590, thanks for your help. Dave590, what is the name of your new book & where can it be obtained?
Old 01-25-2004, 09:01 PM
Nontypical Buck

tennhunter, The book is scheduled to be available at Barnes and noble's on-line book store around march 1st.

I want to preface my next statement with this disclaimer. I have been a member of this board for several years now, and I do not want to loose my posting privileges. The fact that I can come here and post stuff without having to endure every other post having to do with someone advertising something makes this such a great place to visit, so...I hope the moderators will let this one "slide"

With that said, I am new to the book writing business. The book has not hit the shelves yet as it just came back from the printer last friday. Over the next couple of months it should start showing up on the shelves of a good number of sporting goods stores in the South-East United States.

The name of the book is"Don't get Lost" It is unique to any other book in this field. With an enclosed full sized topographical map and a laminated pelorus protractor/Grid scale reader, it not only has the information on "how" to navigate, it comes with all the materials necessary for "hands-on" training.The whole premise of the book is; How to use your G.P.S. with a map. Traditional methods of navigation such as using a compass, sun and stars are discussed in detail also.

Before I mention the price, I need to mention. There are some weird FTC rules about offering discounts to people. Something about if, "You offer a discount to ONE group, you must offer a "like" discount to all "same" types of groups. Once my publisher has worked out all the logistics, I hope to offer it on this board in either the "classified" section, or as another form of add with something of a discount.

Untill then, it can be bought direct from the publisher, "OffTrail Books". The cost is $57.48. Their number is (540) 839-4625. Just tell 'em you want a copy of "Don't get lost" by Dave Hodges.

There is also a number of seminars in the works that stretch all through the state of virginia and into the carolina's, and even into tennessee. It's really pretty exciting to get a chance to go out and do something like this. The names and dates and places won't be firmed-up untill around april sometime, but it's pretty exciting non-the-less.

I hope that helps, and even if you don't buy the book, I hope you get a G.P.S. and learn to navigate in the woods...There are not to many feelings that can match being miles and miles away from anyone else, and having the confidence to KNOW where you are, and that you are self sufficient enough to get back out whenever you want to.
Old 01-26-2004, 05:00 PM
Fork Horn

Keep us advised when you get the dates and locations of the seminars. I'm interested in attending.
Old 02-01-2004, 05:24 PM

I just recently purchased an Earthmate GPS and map software for my laptop computer, I have it hooked up in my car so if I want to I cn take the laptop and find routes areas etc... So far this works great, Ilooked further into the product and found the same GPS and software except it was TOPO software that can be used in a PDA, I am considerig purchasing one for hunting, hiking etc..., thought it may even come in handy for our search and rescue team.

Anyone else had experience with this type system?
Old 02-11-2004, 10:29 AM
Banned

Default [Deleted]

[Deleted by Admins]