Community
Hunting Gear Discussion Clothing, stands, ATV's, optics, scents, calls, etc... read the latest reviews of hot new hunting gear items here.

The original can vs. other brands, which cough muffler? and other questions

Old 12-26-2003, 05:33 PM
Fork Horn

Default The original can vs. other brands, which cough muffler? and other questions

How does "The Can" compare to others? Found one brand online that has a cover to keep dirt out. Which cough muffler is best? Or are they just a gimmick? Which chemical hand and foot warmers are the most dependable? Thanks, Scott Woody
Old 12-27-2003, 09:56 AM
Dominant Buck

Default RE: The original can vs. other brands, which cough muffler? and other questions

My experience with "can" style calls is limited to the Primos model , and it has proven disappointing for the last 2 seasons . Not one deer of either sex has responded to it , so it's going into the trash . [:'(]

I have a Cough Silencer , and it works very well . Being a smoker I tend to cough a lot , and this device has really helped . The other day I had a friend listen as I used it , and she said that she could barely hear me at 4 feet . When you use it you can hear yourself , but the only sound she heard was a soft puff sound . The unit is easy to maintain , just open it to clean with mild detergent , and change the cotton balls .

Chemical heaters can be hit or miss , they're all about the same . This year I was using them in my ground blind to heat the tops of my boots . The warmers wouldn't go much above 100 degrees until I put them inside my muff to warm my hands a bit faster , then they proceeded to hit max output . Since they were hand warmers , rather than low oxygen foot warmers , I found this slightly confusing . They actually worked better when protected from the cold , go figure ...
Old 12-27-2003, 12:48 PM

Default RE: The original can vs. other brands, which cough muffler? and other questions

I also have had very disappointing results with the Primos Can. It seems to make no impression on deer at all, no alarm, no curiosity, no nothing. It no longer occupies a pocket in my jacket. No opinion on cough muffler, simply never even thought twice about it; carry enough junk (like calls that don't work) into the woods the way it is. As for the hand warmers I use Grabber MyCoal. They perform exceptionally well in a hand muff, and very well inside shooting mitts. They get so hot you simply can't keep them in contact with your skin or you will get burned. I have severely frost bitten my hands years ago and these things allow me to keep hunting until the end of the season, which is the end of January in Wisconsin. Have never tried them in boots - since I began using LaCrosse boots I have had no cold feet problems. Good Hunting.
Old 12-27-2003, 05:26 PM
Fork Horn

Kevin1, sent you a pm. Thanks for the reply's guys. ISHOOTSHARPSTIX, what lacrosse boots do you use? Thanks, Scott Woody
Old 12-27-2003, 09:44 PM
Typical Buck

I have to agree about the can. I've been using one for 3 years now and have had no success. Passed on a spike yesterday and decided I'd try the can to catch his reaction. There was none. I found this interesting considering he was crusing for does. He did respond to a grunt call (H.S. Truetalker). I don't have the cough muffler yet. Can't ever remember to get one. I use Hot Hands. They work really well for me and are pretty cheap. I think they were $1.97 for 6 at Wal-mart.
Old 12-28-2003, 07:29 AM

My Favorites are the Lacross Burley ATS 1200 Gram Thinsulate which are tremendous down to 25 Degrees. In colder temps I switch to their SnowKing Pack Boots which are warm enough for Polar Expeditions, great on stand, but rather large and clumsy if you move around alot.
Old 12-28-2003, 09:37 AM
Typical Buck

I have a can from "Quaker Boy" and i would not hunt without it. I have had many times where the deer pay no attention to it. BUT, i have also taken and called in some real nice bucks with it. One buck i called in 2 times before he gave me a 5 yard shot with the bow. Also i have had does come in to check it out. This is right up there with my grunt call. Works sometimes, sometimes not at all.
Old 12-29-2003, 03:42 PM
Dominant Buck

Scott ,
I got your PM and your package is on it's way , the note inside will explain what I'd like in return . Relax , it won't cost you a dime .
Old 12-29-2003, 05:11 PM
Fork Horn

Thanks Kevin. I really appreciate it. Man that's got me wondering what I've got myself into. Thanks for all the replies guys!!!!! Thanks again Kevin, Scott Woody
Old 01-04-2004, 08:59 AM
Nontypical Buck

i have been using the heat packs from kmart that say 18 hours on it. they have been lasting at least 12 hours. i bought the cough silencer and did some experimenting with it. it seems that most of the sound of a cough comes from your neck and throat area and not so much out of your mouth. if you cough all the time or have bronchitis (which you probably shouldnt be in the woods anyway) i think its helps a little. i think burrying your head in your shoulder would probably be near the same. i took it apart and had to laugh some cotton and a diaphram. i wonder how you would clean it after using it all day. cant be too sanitary with all that spittle and germs sitting inside it. also ive used the can for a couple seasons and it hasnt worked for me. if it wasnt for all these snake oil type products i think it would be a boring hunting market.

Quick Reply: The original can vs. other brands, which cough muffler? and other questions

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.