Community
Hunting Gear Discussion Clothing, stands, ATV's, optics, scents, calls, etc... read the latest reviews of hot new hunting gear items here.

Just bought a really cheap scope...

Old 12-08-2003, 01:05 PM
Giant Nontypical

Default Just bought a really cheap scope...

I bought it on ebay. A new scope in the box, it costs 24.99 plus shipping. The brand name is Visiontac. The claim is that Visiontac has made OEM scopes for Bushnell, Simmons, and Tasco, and they are now beginning to market scopes under their own name. This may be all bunk, I don't know. But it was cheap and I thought I'd give it a try. It is a 3-9x40 scope with multi-coated lenses. I'll be mounting it on a .50 cal Muzzleloader. Once I work with it a while, I'll post my observations. If it's junk, then everyone will know!
Old 12-08-2003, 09:01 PM

Default RE: Just bought a really cheap scope...

Hope it works out for you but with glass you get what you pay for--buyer beware!
Old 12-09-2003, 07:10 AM
Nontypical Buck

A cheap scope cost me a nice buck several years back when it decided to fog up on the inside. There is no way I will put a cheap scope on any of my guns after learning from that episode.
Old 12-10-2003, 06:33 AM
Boone & Crockett

I would like to hear more about it when the time comes as I believe that not all inexpensive scopes are junk. I put a $40 Tasco Pronghorn on my Marlin several years ago and have never had a problem with its durability or consistancy from year to year.
Old 12-29-2003, 09:46 AM
Giant Nontypical

Well, I've had the scope for a while, on my .50 cal T/C Omega ML, and it is working well. Sighting in was easy, and after several shots, it is maintaining accuracy. So far, the $24.99 has been worth it.
Old 12-29-2003, 06:17 PM
Fork Horn

Sounds like Russian Roulette to me. My scopes usually cost me more than the guns themselves.
Old 12-29-2003, 07:14 PM

Optics, optics, optics..... buy the best optics you can afford. Save money on the rifle and ammo but don't skimp on the glass. Just my opinion.
Old 12-30-2003, 02:56 PM

What's everyones opinion on Bino's? They aren't nearly as important as a scope!

I bought a 50x Bino from Cabelas (40.00) they work great. I know they are cheap and may break one day.

I know if I went on a hunt that required Bino's a lot and I needed to depend on them Such as a Elk or Muley hunt then I would fork out the $$$.
Old 12-30-2003, 03:16 PM

If you're hunting whitetails from a treestand with a field of view of 100 yds. in each direction then any ole glass will do. However, if you're glassing for elk from one mountain to another than something from Zeiss might be a better choice. Finally, glassing into heavy cover from miles away requires one helluva good spotting scope. It all depends on your needs.
Old 01-04-2004, 08:07 PM
dpv
Typical Buck

I have already posted about this in the Guns catagory, but I had a cheap simmons that came on my savage last year. it died on me this season. Not sure when it happened but I missed the last two days of the season because of it. I won't be makin that mistake again. I am goning to put some quality glass on my rifle. I'm the cheapest bastard you could ever meet. My stingyness is near legendary among my coworkers and friends. I use the cheapest crossbow I could find. my camo came from my time in the Army. I got warm boots but held out till I found them online for cheap. I put a wood stove in my house because I didn't like the high energy bills in the winter and I decided that splitting wood was as good as working out at the gym so I don't rent a wood slitter, I just swing an 8 pound maul and save money on two fronts. All that being said, I'm still gonna put some good glass on my rifle.

David

Quick Reply: Just bought a really cheap scope...

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.