Community
Hunting Gear Discussion Clothing, stands, ATV's, optics, scents, calls, etc... read the latest reviews of hot new hunting gear items here.

Any crossbow hunters out there?

Old 12-01-2003, 03:01 PM
BHS

Default Any crossbow hunters out there?

I' m considering a new toy. Being from MI, we can use a crossbow during the regular firearm deer season. I feel this would add a interesting twist. I will also us it for a little residential silent varmit control (3 for 3 with my bow). I am an avid bowhunter with a solid understanding of the mechanic' s of archery. But would like some idea' s/suggestions from the crossbow owners out there of what to look for or what to avoid, etc... I' m considering a Horton Hunter Elite, a Legend II, or a Barnett Revolution XS.
Old 12-02-2003, 04:06 AM

Default RE: Any crossbow hunters out there?

BHS....nice choices but if I were you i' d be looking at an Excalibur....best darn crossbow available....check out their website & forum...lots of knowlegable people there...[:-]...I personallly own an Excalibur Exocet & love it!!!!!!!!! Brampton Mike [8D]

www.excaliburcrossbows.com
Old 12-02-2003, 04:10 AM

[] Opps link is wrong!!!!!!!!! Here is the right one.....[:-]....Brampton Mike [8D]

www.excaliburcrossbow.com
Old 12-02-2003, 03:25 PM
Dominant Buck

BHS ,
I'd start with something less expensive at first for practice , then graduate to a real sweet shooter once you have the basics down . That way , if you decide that it's not for you the cost can be minimal . You can buy a perfectly serviceable xbow , complete with bolts/quiver/scope , for under $150 . I got mine from a catalog for $140 complete with a decent red dot sight .

I didn't realize that it was even legal for me to hunt with it at the time since I don't have any disability , but got a 150# just the same . It does a nice job on the 3-D out back , and hopefully a nice fat doe when our late bow season comes in this weekend .

BTW , a crossbow is far from silent , even with string whiskers . The bolt drop may be "educational" too .
Old 12-07-2003, 12:21 AM
Typical Buck

Don't buy a piece of crap! Start with an excalibur , you won't be dissapointed and won't have to upgrade later.
Old 12-07-2003, 01:13 AM
Fork Horn

What can I say.....Excalibur
Old 12-14-2003, 09:18 PM

most of the name brand xbows are made good.i have a horton and looked at all brands before buying. they were all good.one thing about a xbow,they are heavy and noisy
Old 12-14-2003, 11:29 PM

I have a horton hunter supreme and the thing shoots very well. i don't know much about others except i would stay far away from barnetts.
Old 12-15-2003, 09:03 AM

what ever you do dont buy a barnett they are ****! i have hortons i love them.I got a horton hunter,nitrohunter and a supreme they are all good if they are made by horton. i now alot of people that have one and they will say the same and i know somebody that has a barnett and they hate it and say it is unsafe and has had to do alot of work to it and its not a year old.but if i was you i would get a used one but dont get a barnett you will hate it!
Old 12-23-2003, 05:11 AM

ORIGINAL: dep214

most of the name brand xbows are made good.i have a horton and looked at all brands before buying. they were all good.one thing about a xbow,they are heavy and noisy
[] What do you mean by nosiy.....mine isn't an Excalibur Exocet ....a little on the heavy side yes but noisy..no!!!!!!!! Brampton Mike [8D]

Quick Reply: Any crossbow hunters out there?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.