Community
Hunting Gear Discussion Clothing, stands, ATV's, optics, scents, calls, etc... read the latest reviews of hot new hunting gear items here.

Thermal Underwear?

Old 12-14-2003, 01:12 AM
Typical Buck

Default RE: Thermal Underwear?

Poly pro!!! I used to wear it when I was in the Marine Corps. I'm a Southern Boy and found that the poly pro kept me the warmest even in the coldest weather. One piece of advice though........make sure your dryer doesn't get too hot or you'll have to give it to a kid.[X(]

Gun control? My gun. My control.
Old 12-16-2003, 01:28 PM

Im a carthart fan and my carthart themal underwear is just fine for your specifices that your looking 4
Old 12-17-2003, 11:53 AM
Nontypical Buck

I use thermals made by Morgans that i bought at the local Walmart. I don't even know what they're made of but they sure keep me warm.
Old 12-17-2003, 12:43 PM
Typical Buck

Any fleece/poly will do just fine. I buy the thickest I can find. And like G. B. said about the heat. Air dry them! Or they WILL shrink.
Old 12-19-2003, 12:48 PM
Fork Horn

i picked up 2 pairs of remington underwear and they are great. and they onlu cost $12 at my local walmart. as for a top, i use underarmour on the first layer followed by a t shirt.
Old 12-20-2003, 07:22 AM

Hi LIVE2HUNTNFISH,

The military uses polypropylene for its thermals. They come in two distinct weights, (so you can adjust for expected temperatures). Many civilian manufacturers make it as well.....in many different styles and weights. It is a very good insulative undergarment.

If you can afford a little more take a good look at Capilene garments. It works as well or better than polypropylene...and is more comfortable against the skin. You will be able to find either by using "search engines" on the web....or at better "Mountain/climbing outfitters". Also some of the better sporting/hunting stores carry either.

If you really want to increase the comfort level try wearing a silk garment against your skin, followed by either polypropylene or capilene, then an appropriate weight insulating garment, covered with wind/water proof (breathable) outer shell. For my insulating layer I normally have a fleece vest or jacket and a down vest or jacket. (Either or both can be worn or carried in your daypack to adjust for temperature and exertion levels.)

Layering is much more efficient....rather than wearing just one heavy garment!

There are some other "brand name" thermals that work to varying degrees. But as was previously stated....avoid cotton like the plague.

Good luck!