Community
Hunting Gear Discussion Clothing, stands, ATV's, optics, scents, calls, etc... read the latest reviews of hot new hunting gear items here.

Secure side mount sling attachment for hunting rifle?

Old 09-02-2017, 07:06 PM
Spike

Default Secure side mount sling attachment for hunting rifle?

I'm looking for an improved method of attaching a sling that keeps the rifle secure with flat side against my back, from bouncing around or poking me, and without requiring me to keep my hands on it.

My rifle is a Kimber Mountain Ascent, and it has the typical sling studs (ie, bottom of the back end of the butt stock and another on the bottom of the foregrip). Not sure what other people usually do with the sling studs, but I put key rings through them and then clipped on a Magpul MS1 sling with Paraclips (MAG514) to the rings.

The main problem is the location of the sling attachment points. Having them on the underside of the rifle means that the gun will never be held flat against my back no matter how tight the sling is. Additionally, having one of the attachment points at the back of the butt stock means the sling can never be snugged up tightly.

I think it will carry much better if I put sling mounts on the side of the butt stock, and closer to the action, so that the sling can be made tighter. However, I'm not finding many good options for methods of attaching the sling to the side of the rifle.

Options I see:

One option is to screw one of these antiques onto the side:
"Sling Swivel with loop for buttstock Winchester 1866, 1873, 1876, 1892, 1894, 1895 (628A)" (google for it since I can't post a link)

A non-destructive option (for the back attachment point at least) is here:
"Ruger 10/22 Takedown Single Point Sling Attachment" from iweapons.

Any other suggestions? Has anyone else come up with a good/different solution?
Old 09-03-2017, 07:38 AM
Nontypical Buck

first off welcome to the site
my first question is, have you tired carrying the rifle with the sling, cross carried like, so its running from one shoulder diagonally and NOT just over one shoulder running straight up
that will make for hands free carrying of it

NEXT there are many other modified ways to carry it

have a look here

Old 09-04-2017, 07:32 AM
Nontypical Buck

The second one is what I use, barrel up.

Not cross carry, but often single shoulder carry, also with the rifle in the front. Carrying this way I can get a rifle into action jiffy quick.

I often (almost always) have a back pack with me, back slinging doesn't work well.

Also with the rifle in the front (barrel up) you can use the barrel to clear low hanging vegetation away from your hat and face.

Takes a little getting used to, now I wouldn't carry any other way.

Last edited by MudderChuck; 09-04-2017 at 07:46 AM.
Old 09-05-2017, 01:16 PM
Nontypical Buck

Have you considered embedding a flush cup into the side of the stock and another into the side of the forend?

Or are you dead set on non-destructive options? Personally, I'd just bed in a pair of flush cups and live life happy.