Community
Hunting Gear Discussion Clothing, stands, ATV's, optics, scents, calls, etc... read the latest reviews of hot new hunting gear items here.

The Expensive Hiking boot crowd

Old 12-01-2016, 04:26 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default The Expensive Hiking boot crowd

Seems to be some problem finding good boots. I'm just glad my feet have seen military boots for the last forty years.
My feet are well warn in, which makes me think the tenderfoots are attempting to get their tenderfeet use to the unusual climbs never attempted.

My last two pairs were inexpensive military boots that were blems, noninsulated, worn year round, used with Swiss army gaiters in winter, and cost a lot less than these fancy civilian boots.
Of course, getting the feet ground in good, probably had something to do with it. Even waterproofed them myself.
The tenderfoots sure are having tenderfeet problems. And at those dollar too. Not in my price range either.
Old 12-02-2016, 09:07 AM
Giant Nontypical

As is true with many things; "you get what you pay for".

For outdoors-men, what you ware on your feet is one of the most important pieces of "equipment" !!!

I owe a pair of these boots & they have turned out to be one of the most versatile pair of boots I have !

http://www.llbean.com/llb/shop/83396...ductId=1393258
Old 12-04-2016, 04:53 AM
Nontypical Buck

I got out of U.S. Combat boots my first year in the military and eventually switched to German Army combat boots. The other two that where almost good were the Corcoran and Redwing. The insulated German Combat boots were the best. U.S. Army issue combat boots suck, no support where I need it and they bind where not needed.

I have a bad ankle, partially fused. I have at least a dozen pairs of near new boots I've tried for a short period, got tired of suffering the pain and relegated them to the cellar. I always ended up with either one of two Meindl models, the Perfekt or the Island. At over $200 a pop they are expensive, but in my opinion worth every penny.

I envy you, my feet are tender, but with the right boot I can walk forever. I put some miles on them, I usually wear a pair out every 18 months or so.
Old 12-04-2016, 05:00 AM
Banned

I guess I am lucky. never had much problem with any boots hurting my feet. generally never spend more then 5 minutes or so at the store when I buy boots and even in the rare instance when the boot did bother me , I just where em a few days ,break em in and problem is solved.
never understood why so many have such issues.
Old 02-15-2017, 05:04 AM
Spike

I have used a pair of Salomon Quest GTX hikers for years for hiking, hunting, you name it. Yes, you get what you pay for. I simply love them. They are a few years old, so I assume Salomon has come out with a bunch of different versions of the Quest. They are high,over the ankle boots with incredible support.Most of these are waterproof goretex boots
Old 02-15-2017, 06:13 AM
Nontypical Buck

considering I have a had a lot of foot injuries(broke em a few times, plus several toes, and some other foot related issues) I am not cheap when it comes to buying boots
old saying buy once cry once
save up, buy a better boot that FITS RIGHT
money well spent
take care of GOOD boots and they will lasta LONG time
I have some Danner Super Rainforest boots that are about 18 yrs old and still in great shape,
water proof still, have taken a beating at work and all, and still holding there own, cost a LOT up front(almost 300 bucks)
but if I break costs down to per yr, there darn cheap

I have had super luck with Mendal's too, the cabela's branded one, again NOT cheap, but do get many yrs out of a pair, soft on my bad feet and all, ZERO Break in needed

best CHEAP price tag boots I have had(and I have about 20 pairs of boots right now, and went trhu GOD klnow's how many trying to find cheaper one'
s over the yrs)
have been Cabela's Iron ridge ALL leather boots, solid boot for the price IMO, only real issue I have with them is after about 6 yrs the darn plastic seams holding sole to boot, just fails, from time alone as last time I bought them I bought 3 pair at once due to how well I liked them and figured when you find something you like, buy extra NOW< as down the road they might be gone?/
and had one pair fail sitting in the box new??
they still make them and thought about taking them back and see??
but never did it??
but a solid boot, little warm for warmer weather however
as said before, you do get what you pay for at times

but BIG key is proper fitting, if it NOT it will only get worse as time goes by!

and the quality, quality and take care of , and they will LAST and LAST you, and price up front isn';t so bad as the yrs roll by!
Old 02-24-2017, 08:47 PM
Spike

I hated those all leather boots the Army used to issue; they were brutal on my feet during ruck marches. The Altama desert boots were just a slight bit better. It took me a while to find good pairs of boots once I left active duty. My fave boots for rocky terrain are Asolo, Salomon and certain Merrell boots for grassy terrain or hills. Waterproof boots are a must for me.