Community
Hunting Gear Discussion Clothing, stands, ATV's, optics, scents, calls, etc... read the latest reviews of hot new hunting gear items here.

Camo choices

Old 10-21-2003, 08:52 AM

Default Camo choices

I am looking for some camo clothing and I was just wondering what would be the best type to get. What brand would be recommended, Realtree, Mossy Oak, or any others? Thanks for suggestions.
Old 10-21-2003, 12:26 PM

Default RE: Camo choices

OK, start with a big ymmv, fwiw, etc. It' s not " scientific" , but I found this to be interesting. http://www.whitetail.com/camo1.html

Basically, the takeaway I got was that the " real-ness" or photolike image of the camo is meaninless, but the contrast/break up of the pattern is. The deer don' t see you as a bunch of oak leaves or tree branches, but will be more likely to see you if the pattern doesn' t effectively break up your silouette.

What is important is that you don' t want them to see a blob of solid color, which this guy says a lot of designer camo patterns end up looking like when viewed from a distance, especially with a light (sky) background. I use plain old army woodland and desert type stuff whenever possible, and blaze camo (blaze with simple blobs of black) and really think it works well.

The only reason I buy designer camo items is because the quality of the garments and availability is often better, but I try to choose patterns for their contrast/break up ability and don' t pay attention to the specific photo-real images or predominant colors.

But, I don' t have the guts to use an Hawaiian shirt! -zeke.
Old 10-21-2003, 03:30 PM
Giant Nontypical

I agree with Z, breakup is much better than blend in camo. Predator is all I wear, it is really remarkable how well this type(breakup) camo works. Many hunters see you & say that isn' t good camo, but once you disappear into the surroundings they soon become believers themselves and for animals it work even better, due to their lack of depth perception. I don' t believe one patterns is good for all times and areas, as such still have different base colours and patterns to wear...but the theory behind predator, asat, etc I am sold on.
Old 10-21-2003, 09:36 PM
Fork Horn

so far i' m in agreement with skeeter7mm and zekeskar. I use a blend of predator and natural gear. Your silhouette is more important than the pattern though. Just cause it looks good close up doesn' t mean it won' t make you look like a big dark awkward blob from fifty yards.
ak
Old 10-22-2003, 05:48 AM
Nontypical Buck

I' m using Advantage Timber right now. It' s been good so far this season. I have been looking into ASAT camo as well. Lots of good feedback on it especially from bowhunters.
Old 10-22-2003, 01:34 PM
Dominant Buck

I wear plain old Woodland , it was designed for North American and eastern European woods , and it works well . Designer camo is like designer jeans , wear whatever you want they all look the same .
Old 10-23-2003, 08:46 AM

It' s important to blend in with your environment. Most patterns are developed to match certain regions and will blend best in those areas. I have heard many times that deer can see or identify only one color; BLUE. So whatever you buy, make sure it ties in to the foilage or the lack thereof in your favorite hunting area. As the others have mentioned, don' t pick an open area on the ground and think you will be invisible, regardless of the pattern you chose or the amount of money you paid for your gear. Good cover, both on the ground and in your stand will help you see more deer and possibly help you in your harvest.
Old 10-24-2003, 07:58 AM
Fork Horn

Personally I like the ASAT 3-D suit but I will give Predator honorable mention. They both work under the same principle. Good luck.
Old 10-24-2003, 07:56 PM
Dominant Buck

Krazy ,
think like a sniper , be invisible , be silent , be odor reduced . You can' t do much more than that .
Old 10-24-2003, 08:45 PM

I AM A SNIPER IN THE U.S ARMY. I USE DIFFERANT KINDS OF CAMO IN THE FEILD . BUT WHEN I AM HUNTING BACK HOME I USE A CAMO CALLED
" SKY LINE " IT IS A VERY GOOD CAMO. BLENDS IN WELL
TRY IT OUT

Quick Reply: Camo choices

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.