Community
Hunting Gear Discussion Clothing, stands, ATV's, optics, scents, calls, etc... read the latest reviews of hot new hunting gear items here.

Camo choices

Old 11-09-2003, 07:49 PM

Default RE: Camo choices

You guys are talking high dollar suits,got anything a poor guy could use.Like 150.00 or less?I could feed my familly for a year on beef for the price of some of them suits.
Old 11-09-2003, 10:50 PM
Fork Horn

i wear Skyline Apparition and Predator Fall Gray
Old 11-10-2003, 08:18 AM
Boone & Crockett

Actually, the ASAT leafy suit, up to a size XL, sells for around $119. Throw in a hat and some gloves and you are right at $150 (minus shipping). Add to that the fact that you can wear whatever clothing you want to underneath it and you should have one heck of a deal.
Old 11-13-2003, 12:25 PM

ORIGINAL: victorlvlb

You guys are talking high dollar suits,got anything a poor guy could use.Like 150.00 or less?I could feed my familly for a year on beef for the price of some of them suits.
I' m with you there! For quick, easy, and probably 90-100% as good as any designer camo you might choose, go to a second hand or surplus store and buy various army woodland and/or desert camo, pants, shirts, jackets for about $5.00 a piece. For about $50 you could have complete top to bottom sets of each. You can also find excellent army polypro long underwear and pile stuff. Yes, there might be something better, but my honest opinion is that the improvement is marginal at best and not worth the money if you' re on a tight budget. In almost any circumstance, army stuff will serve your purpose. I even found a very good quality goretex army parka for $25 - the quality, features and design are first rate, comparable to a $200 parka, imho. -zeke
Old 11-13-2003, 01:03 PM

Purchased Asat 3-D a few years ago.Has it changed?When I looked at it on thier site,it looks darker than the one I have.

Joe
Old 11-13-2003, 01:45 PM
Nontypical Buck

My biggest concern: what brands are made in the US?? Anyone know?
Old 11-13-2003, 03:16 PM

I' m in the same boat with this camo idea. I was pretty much brought up by my grandpa and step-dad wearing blaze orange, and blue jeans, or wutever else would fit the weather conditions, but am getting more and more into hunting, and am looking for some camo. I only rifle hunt now, but am almost 16 getting a job, and hope to start archery hunting next fall if everything works out. Thanks foe everything
Old 11-14-2003, 10:09 AM

If you want camo that really breaks up your outline check out NaturalGear. It' s pretty affordable and it works great. Their site has tons of photos of it in action.

http://www.naturalgear.com

Adios,

Cor.
Old 11-14-2003, 12:09 PM
Fork Horn

I absolutely love camouflage. It' s kind of a sickness with me. I' m always buying more camo and testing it in feild for hunting and tatical purposes. I currently own more than 20 different patterns. I' ve come up with a system that works great for me. I buy BDU style Pants on the large side so I can layer underneth for cold wheather. If avaible I buy a shell parka. If a shell parka is not avaible I buy two yards of material and have one made. This way I can change my pattern on my expensive parka to keep cost down. In warmer wheather I can wear it over a tee shirt or light coat.

It' s important to understand that everything with eyes does not see things the same. The questions of What, Where, When, and How must be answered before choosing the best pattern.

I' m assuming you are looking for camouflage for deer hunting. While any camo will work in specific circumstances. An example is if you hunt from a tree stand so high you nose starts to bleed, your birthday suit is suffecient. There are some that are more effective in a broader range. There is no one perfect camo for everything. If that were so, there would be only one manufacturer and one pattern! Many on this site have it figured out already that for deer hunting a light back ground, highly contrasted tones, and open pattern is best. ASAT and Predator' s Fall Gray and Fall Brown have already been mentioned. The other would be Sticks-N-Limbs. I own all three and they are extremely awsome. I do not hunt deer or similar game with any other camo. The results of three are absolutly unbelievable, Seeing is believing. I also mix tops and bottoms. Very seldom do I where the same pattern on top and bottom.
Some have mentioned Mossy Oak, Advantage, Real Tree, Trebark, and Etc. brands. These are good in their own right but, better suited for the likes of turkey, crow, and duck hunting. They tend to be pretty dark overall and don' t break up your outline that is needed for most deer hunting situations. In fact some are so dark now, I' m wondering how long before their new pattern is all black.
Some have mentioned ghilie suits. The ghilie suit was designed for hunting people. People see much differently than the animals we hunt. While they can be effective in some situations. There are some draw backs for ghilie suits. They can be heavy, hot, hold extra odor, and hard to move around in. Try stalking a deer while bowhunting thru some thick cover on a warm day. Not much fun I can attest to.
Old 11-23-2003, 08:20 PM

Check out truwoods camo. You probably will like the transition 4-d pattern. It is a new pattern for 2003 and I think it will work very well in any situation. I currently use the autumn pattern, but am going to switching over to the trans 4-d. Check it out, truwoods.com. Any questions about it drop me an email.

dmaurer29

Quick Reply: Camo choices

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.