Community
Hunting Gear Discussion Clothing, stands, ATV's, optics, scents, calls, etc... read the latest reviews of hot new hunting gear items here.

Modern Releases

Old 02-16-2016, 04:19 AM
Nontypical Buck

Default Modern Releases

I've been seeing a lot of advertisements lately for new releases. Mostly types I've never used before i.e. thumb release, squeeze, etc. They also have a hefty price tag.

I've been using the conventional index finger release for years. It's worked out quite well, but I would be open to suggestion and possibly changing to a more "modern" release if the improvements justified it.

I plan on evaluating them in the off season. Has anybody out there tried these ultra-expensive releases? What are the results?
Old 05-26-2016, 07:27 AM
Nontypical Buck

Default My release is old; twenty years old

It still works and I'm use to using it. I'll spray it occasionally with WD-40 on the metal part.

No use in finding a new one, and learning how to use it. I already did that.
Old 06-19-2016, 03:23 AM
Spike

There is a reason most of the best shooters use thumb or hinge type releases that may seem pricey. They break like glass.
Think about a rifle w a bad trigger compared to one w a good one. No comparison right?
The cleaner trigger always shoots better/easier.
If you're switching to a thumb style you need to do it asap, takes a while to learn to shoot one, especially properly. Many ways to accomplish this but you need to pick one n stick w it.
Most guys use back tension which is accomplished by pushing your elbow back. Than you can put thumb on post n just pull through, the release will Fire from your pressure applied to post(trigger). You can use back pressure n just squeeze your hand as you do so causing trigger to fire or roll your hand.
A new way I've been trying n it works well is shown in Archery Learning Centers you tube release video. My daughter was punching trigger even w thumb release.
I'm an instructor but was talking to another instructor n he suggested watching the video n letting her try it so I did.
You get to back tension the same way, wrap your thumb around the post, as you keep your back tension on you relax your palm causing it to elongate. W good releases they Fire instantly.
I would look at Carter or Stan. Carter makes a few models whose jaws close when you set trigger. The one I use is called "Too Simple". My favorite doesn't have self closing jaws n is called "Just B Cuz". Lots of variation in all releases neck size. Keep that in mind. Good luck