Community
Hunting Gear Discussion Clothing, stands, ATV's, optics, scents, calls, etc... read the latest reviews of hot new hunting gear items here.

Leather sling

Old 12-02-2015, 11:05 AM
Nontypical Buck

Default Leather sling

Looking for a good quality leather sling for my Marlin 336 .35 Rem. I like the leather cobra slings but what do y'all recommend?
Old 12-02-2015, 11:23 AM
Giant Nontypical

I use a plain old military style so I can adjust the sling to give extra support for my rifle when I shoot kneeling or prone. All the cobra slings are good for is shouldering the rifle and I demand more from my gear.
Old 12-02-2015, 01:42 PM
Giant Nontypical

I also use adjustable leather slings like flags for the purpose he stated. Several of my "go to" rifles have large padded areas for the shoulder area that I really like.
Old 12-02-2015, 07:21 PM
Giant Nontypical

I switched from the "claw" to these now.

http://store.specialtyoutdoorproducts.net/

These are NOT fancy- but work great, also indestructible & impervious to weather !!!

After all, it's for hunting.......................

Last edited by Sheridan; 12-03-2015 at 11:16 AM.
Old 12-05-2015, 07:47 PM
Nontypical Buck

I have an A-1 from Murray which isn't too far from the military style slings, just uses a slide buckle instead of the claw-hooks. Top quality leather goods, I bought the sling as an afterthought while ordering a cartridge belt. Murray Leather does pretty slick cobra style slings.

I actually LOVE Allen Endura slings and the predecessor Uncle Mike's slings like them (but with strap slides instead of sewn-in swivels). Simple padded nylon, quick sliding strap adjuster's... It's just easy for me the way I like to carry my rifles. Super cheap, but durable and comfortable. "Bulldog" makes a nearly identical sling, but their metal strap adjusters are junk - eventually they bend and either slip, or you can't adjust them because they pinch or bind the strap.

My highest priority for a sling is the ability to quickly (immediately) provide bracing for my support arm in off-hand shooting positions. Carrying the rifle is the least of my worries, a length of baling twine can do that, and I usually carry over my shoulder or over my elbow anyway - the only thing I want my sling to do is provide support for my shooting position. That drives my favor for the Allen/Uncle Mike's slings over any other type. No matter from which position I'm shooting nor what coat thickness I might be wearing, I can adjust the slings to EXACTLY PERFECT length for maximum support.

Take a look at the Murray stuff. Their A-2 Cobra with the thumbhole is kinda neat.

Last edited by Nomercy448; 12-05-2015 at 07:57 PM.