Community
Hunting Gear Discussion Clothing, stands, ATV's, optics, scents, calls, etc... read the latest reviews of hot new hunting gear items here.

Permethrin?

Old 07-12-2015, 09:12 AM
Spike

Default Permethrin?

Is it okay to spray this on a day or two before going on to hunt? I'm planning to have a plastic storage bin full of natural debris and was thinking about putting my camo and 'under' clothes into the bin with it for a good month or few weeks in advance. Then when it was a day or two until I go out, I would spray it with Permethrin, let it dry and then stick it back into the debris. Would this be a good idea?
Old 07-12-2015, 11:58 AM
Boone & Crockett

Forget the debris, it isn't worth the effort. Check the various permethrin sprays for instructions on the bottle. The stuff lasts for quite a while on your clothes. If you are going to bag your clothing wait till the spray is totally dry. Also, if you have cats at home, stay away from them while wearng your sprayed clothing. Permethrin is deadly to cats. I know you are new and reading all kinds of stuff about being scent free and all that. However, you will never be scent free unless you are inside a plastic bag and learn how to not breathe. I see guys putting clothing inside a bag with all kinds of stuff, pine branches,leaves dirt etc, doing that brings scent into the woods with you to your stand. You will be much better off learning habitat, deer habits and how to read what they are doing and where they are traveling and bedding and getting your stand in the right location and being cognisant of the wind than getting all wrapped in trying to do something that cannot be done. The hunting industry has done a good job of pushing the scent free necessity for their own pocketbooks, not for hunters. When I still smoked cigarettes, I had a butt in my mouth almost every time I dropped a deer and that was a lot of deer. those deer were down wind, up wind and cross wind when I shot them. Don't get too tied up with minutia and learn the basics of hunting, that will help you for the entire time you hunt. Good luck.
Old 07-12-2015, 12:28 PM
Spike

Originally Posted by Oldtimr
Forget the debris, it isn't worth the effort. Check the various permethrin sprays for instructions on the bottle. The stuff lasts for quite a while on your clothes. If you are going to bag your clothing wait till the spray is totally dry. Also, if you have cats at home, stay away from them while wearng your sprayed clothing. Permethrin is deadly to cats. I know you are new and reading all kinds of stuff about being scent free and all that. However, you will never be scent free unless you are inside a plastic bag and learn how to not breathe. I see guys putting clothing inside a bag with all kinds of stuff, pine branches,leaves dirt etc, doing that brings scent into the woods with you to your stand. You will be much better off learning habitat, deer habits and how to read what they are doing and where they are traveling and bedding and getting your stand in the right location and being cognisant of the wind than getting all wrapped in trying to do something that cannot be done. The hunting industry has done a good job of pushing the scent free necessity for their own pocketbooks, not for hunters. When I still smoked cigarettes, I had a butt in my mouth almost every time I dropped a deer and that was a lot of deer. those deer were down wind, up wind and cross wind when I shot them. Don't get too tied up with minutia and learn the basics of hunting, that will help you for the entire time you hunt. Good luck.
Gotcha! The only reason why I'll be doing the debris is that I'll be hunting on my friends property with them, and I don't want the one to be scaring the deer away with my scent. Also so they won't be mad at me haha. I don't have any cats thankfully, but thanks for the heads up! Is it okay to spray yourself down with let's say, Be the Tree, after the permethrin dries?

Thanks for your post!
Old 07-12-2015, 04:23 PM
Giant Nontypical

Originally Posted by Lowry
Gotcha! The only reason why I'll be doing the debris is that I'll be hunting on my friends property with them, and I don't want the one to be scaring the deer away with my scent. Also so they won't be mad at me haha. I don't have any cats thankfully, but thanks for the heads up! Is it okay to spray yourself down with let's say, Be the Tree, after the permethrin dries?

Thanks for your post!
There is NO need to do what you're talking about. I've been hunting for over 60 years, have killed in excess of 100 big game animals, and have never used any of the washes on clothing or cover scents these companies are making millions of dollars on. Just use camo to break up your outline and use the wind into and out of your stand, stay still and you'll be fine. If you spray your outer clothing with permethrin, be sure to let it dry several days and make sure to have other clothing covering your skin so you don't absorb any of it because it's some bad stuff!

Last edited by Topgun 3006; 07-12-2015 at 04:26 PM. Reason: Spelling
Old 07-12-2015, 04:26 PM
Spike

Originally Posted by Topgun 3006
There is NO need to do what you're talking about. I've been hunting for over 60 years, have killed in excess of 100 big game animals, and have never used any of the washes on clothing or cover scents these companies are making millions of dollars on. Just use camo to break up your outline and use the wind into and out of your stand, stay still and you'll be fine.
Okay thanks!

And for those who use permethrin from concentrate, what brand do you use and does it have any smell to it?
Old 07-12-2015, 05:07 PM
Spike

See my entry in the "DIY Permethrin" thread
Old 07-12-2015, 05:45 PM
Spike

Originally Posted by hunterma
See my entry in the "DIY Permethrin" thread
Thanks! Was it scent free by any chance?
Old 07-13-2015, 01:10 AM
Nontypical Buck

The store-bought permethrin is scent-free when it dries.
Old 07-13-2015, 02:27 AM
Spike

The water based is scent free when dried, the ones containing petroleum distillates maintains a strong chemical smell.