Community
Hunting Gear Discussion Clothing, stands, ATV's, optics, scents, calls, etc... read the latest reviews of hot new hunting gear items here.

Merino Wool vs X-System Lightweight Base Layer (Onyx)

Old 10-01-2014, 10:59 AM
Spike

Default Merino Wool vs X-System Lightweight Base Layer (Onyx)

Can anyone tell me what the difference is between Merino wool and the X-System as a base layer? Both are suppose to be good at wicking away perspiration, correct? Thanks in advance!
Old 10-01-2014, 12:18 PM
Giant Nontypical

I don't know what X-System is. I have read that synthetic fabric wicking material is smellier after use than merino wool. That is, when you sweat in the synthetic fabric, it evidently smells worse as a result of this sweating than does the merino wool. I don't know why or even if that is true -- just repeating what I have read.

I have Minus 33 Merino Wool long underwear and long sleeved top. I wear this under wool pants and a wool shirt when elk hunting. It feels and works great. I replaced my polypropolene underlayer that I have used for 25+ years with the Merino Wool just last year. The Merino Wool is a big improvement in comfort in terms of the texture and feel of the fabric on my skin. I guess they both worked equally well at the main reason I had them -- to wick sweat away and provide some warmth.
Old 10-01-2014, 01:28 PM
Spike

Thanks. I already have the X-System (it has silver in it that is suppose to supress smells) and was trying to decide if it was worth investing in merino.