Community
Hunting Gear Discussion Clothing, stands, ATV's, optics, scents, calls, etc... read the latest reviews of hot new hunting gear items here.

Hunting Boot Opinions

Old 10-01-2014, 10:31 AM
Spike

Default Hunting Boot Opinions

Currently I have an old pair of Irish Setter 800 gram thinsulate boots (I think they're around 10 years old). They are starting to smell pretty bad and may leak a bit. So I need to buy a new pair of boots. Any advice on what brand and style to buy? I'm normally a size 11.5 and my boots are size 12. Should I buy a larger size this time? I've noticed that heavier socks make my feet colder so I have just been using Wigwam Polypropylene sock liners. While my feet stay warmer they still do get cold in temps below 35. Should I buy a larger size this time? I plan on switching to Merino wool socks this year by the way.
Old 10-01-2014, 12:25 PM
Giant Nontypical

It depends on your hunting territory. I hunt elk in mountains over 11000'. It is rocky, snowy, uneven terrain and sometimes I have to carry heavy loads on my back. I love Meindl Perfekt Hunters. They have good ankle support, an excellent sole that grips well on snow, and requires zero break-in time (at least that was my experience). They cost about $280, so they're not cheap. If you don't have as challenging ground to walk over (which demands excellent ankle support and substantial soles), you can probably find something less expensive that will meet your needs.

I wear a heavy outer sock and a thin inner sock made of wicking material. My feet sometimes get cold when I stand still for an extended period of time. This happens when the temperature is below 25 degrees. I think sometimes you just are stuck with cold feet. Get up and move around to get your blood flowing when your feet get too cold. Your toes are extremities. When you pack them into boots and tighten the laces up tight, I imagine that diminishes blood flow and hence warmth to your toes. But maybe others know a secret to keeping your feet and toes warm that I don't know about.
Old 10-02-2014, 06:49 AM
Spike

Thanks all! I should have been more specific in my initial post.....I spend almost all my time sitting on stand (sometimes all day). Only walking is to and from stand (sometimes a short walk and sometimes close to a mile). Bowhunt northern Illinois from October to January. Rifle hunt UP of Michigan. I've always had pack style boots (last pair are Irish Setter Big Game 800 grams) so not to sure on the Muck and Lacrosse. Are they as comfortable and warm as a pack style? It doesn't look like the Lacrosse Aeroheads have thinsulate in them? Any opinions on the Irish Setter Men's Grizzly Tracker WP 1000 Grams?
Old 10-02-2014, 07:29 AM
Spike

Under Armor Brow Tines. $180 at cabelas. 400 gram thinsulate (my feet don't really get cold). First day I wore them I hiked 12 miles (at least 2 or 3 in 4" of water) at 10,000' scouting for elk. No break in period necessary, still look brand new. They're fairly light as well... feel more like a gym shoe with good ankle support than a classic boot.

The tighter you wear your boots the less circulation you have the colder your feet will be. Next time you're in your stand try loosening your boots and I bet your feet will stay warmer. If you're going to wear heavy socks or do a lot of hiking size up at least a half a size (your feet will swell from lots of hiking). I've found wearing gaiters traps a lot of heat and my feet stay warmer as well.

Another good trick if your hands get cold is to put hot packs on the inside of your wrists.

Last edited by Streetdoctor; 10-02-2014 at 07:33 AM.
Old 10-02-2014, 11:49 AM
Spike

If I wear a 11.5 shoes, should I buy a 12 or 13? Unfortunately all the boots I'm looking at don't come in half sizes.
Old 10-03-2014, 09:41 AM
Fork Horn

Don't purchase any boots (for winter) with less than 2000 gram thinsulate... Pass on anything less, they will not keep your feet warm in a stand..