Community
Hunting Gear Discussion Clothing, stands, ATV's, optics, scents, calls, etc... read the latest reviews of hot new hunting gear items here.

Your honest opinion

Old 07-01-2014, 12:51 PM
Spike

Thumbs up Your honest opinion

Hi Guys,

I have just uploaded a guide for newbies looking to purchase a new hunting knife. I would love to hear what you guys think.

Check it out: Hunting Knife 101

(be gentle...)
Old 07-06-2014, 05:20 AM
Nontypical Buck

Got lost in the amount of information, but for someone needing the whole "schmear" , it is there.

Me .... I keep it simple. A typical Trapper style pocket knife and sturdy down sized Alaskan style skinner with a gut hook.

Not into survival knives.
Old 07-07-2014, 11:18 PM
Nontypical Buck

i have a knife
Old 07-08-2014, 04:31 AM
Fork Horn

Thumbs up Buck

Buck 110, All I need.
Old 07-08-2014, 04:54 AM
Nontypical Buck

I still use a Buck 110 as well, but have a new havalon that am waiting to try out. Your site seems to have a ton of information, I mean a ton, more then I think you really need. Then again your making a site for this so I guess you should have all relevant information. In chapter 2 you have a mention of filleting fish and big knives just don't work. I will argue that point as I have a Bubba 9" blade, because I primarily saltwater fish. Our fish can get pretty big and this size knife can make a grouper, snapper, AJ, and many other larger fish easy to clean and filet. Maybe you need a new section on knives for fishermen.
Old 07-08-2014, 10:01 AM
Spike

That link is loaded with great knife info, but sometimes when given so many choices making a decision of what to get becomes difficult. I would determine what you are most likely to use your knife for. Example, cut brush for ground blind, gut a whitetail, quarter big game, fillet fish, ect...Then figure out what kind of money you want to spend. If you want a knife to pass down to your children then maybe the $30 knife at Walmart might not have the quality to endure the test of time. On the other hand, you can purchase an ice age mammoth ivory handle grip with artwork carving, gold rivets, and Damascus (spelling?) blade for $3000.00. This is not the knife to go hunting with as you would be afraid to mark it up. Rather, spend between $100-$200 for a awesome quality beautiful hand made knife and sheath that fits your needs and lasts forever. I have purchased several high quality hand crafted from scratch knives from Ago Couteaux artisanaux (Ago's Custom Knives) from Canada.
Old 07-09-2014, 10:40 AM
MZS
Typical Buck

Originally Posted by troutbum
Buck 110, All I need.
Another vote for this one. A good quality practical knife at an affordable price.
Old 08-16-2014, 03:57 PM
Typical Buck

looks like some pretty good information. im impressed.
Old 08-18-2014, 03:45 PM
Nontypical Buck

Do most hunters use their hunting knife for anything besides the actual hunt?

Do you actually skin and process with hunting knives?

My hunting knives stay in my pack and only get used in the field. Once I have the animal out of the field its butcher knives for me.

My hunting knife basically guts deer and that is about it then I have a pile of other knives I use for various butchering,skinning,camping,fishing etc.

I collect/hoard knives but I always end up with something very simple/practical in my pack.

Last edited by rockport; 08-18-2014 at 03:53 PM.
Old 08-19-2014, 07:39 AM
Nontypical Buck

I am a knife hoarder, and I prefer the Buck 110 or the Gerber gator for field work over the MANY others that I have. Greater blade control with the smaller knife. When out of the field, I have 4 knife blocks with various designs for the final job of stripping the carcass.