Community
Hunting Gear Discussion Clothing, stands, ATV's, optics, scents, calls, etc... read the latest reviews of hot new hunting gear items here.

Question on Scent Eliminators

Old 09-30-2003, 11:40 AM

Default Question on Scent Eliminators

I saw an ad on a hunting show for a product called " Deer Dander" that was supposed to eliminate your human scent by making you smell like a deer. Has anyone used or heard of this product? If so, does it work?
I have been using Scent Killer liquid soap for showering and Scent Killer spray afield. It seems to work pretty good but it' s kind of hard to tell sometimes whether the deer have been spooked by movement, smell, or something else.
If anyone has used " Deer Dander" or has a good success story with some other scent eliminator I' d appreciate that information.
Old 10-01-2003, 05:55 AM
Dominant Buck

Default RE: Question on Scent Eliminators

Diego777 ,
I use Deer Dander every year , and it does seem to work as both a cover scent and attractant as advertised . I descent thoroughly before going out , dress in the field , and use Deer Dander as a primary cover scent . It seems to work best for still hunting and spot and stalk , but also works well in a blind set up .
Old 10-01-2003, 09:05 AM

Thanks for the info, Kevin. I' ll buy some and try it. I mostly hunt from a stand and am fully dressed before my trip there (I hunt in Western NY). But it appears that spraying this on the soles of your boots before making the walk to the stand might help. Can' t wait ' til deer season - I only hunt gun and it starts on Nov.17th. Best of luck and thanks again.
Old 10-02-2003, 04:44 AM
Dominant Buck

Yes , it is good for descenting all clothing . I' ve always had good results .
Old 10-14-2003, 09:18 AM
Nontypical Buck

I use this product too and I love it. I put some on my boots walking to my stand. I' ve recommended it to a few friends.
Old 10-14-2003, 05:55 PM
Dominant Buck

diego777 ,
I' ve seen deer follow the smell of my trail several times when my boots were sprayed with it , be sure to circle into your stand site or you may have to share it ...
Old 10-15-2003, 06:23 AM

I am ordering some now on the web. Thanks for the testimonial. I' ll try to watch my back. I use Wildlife Research' s Scent Killer on my clothing but would like to use the Dander on my boots on the way in.
I' m not a bow hunter but I feel sorry for my friends who are today in Western NY. It' s opening day for bow and there are 40 to 50 MPH winds and rain. I would be totally bummed if this was opening day of shotgun season.
Old 10-15-2003, 07:00 PM
Giant Nontypical

I watch the wind and don' t bother with scents.If you are downwind no game will smell you.
Old 10-16-2003, 04:12 AM
Dominant Buck

Stubblejumper ,
it isn' t always possible to hunt the wind , this is when cover scents do their best work .

Diego777 ,
Deer Dander works best as an all over cover scent , the idea behind it is to smell like a deer . It does work well as just a boot cover scent too though .
Old 10-16-2003, 06:17 AM
Giant Nontypical

You may not always be able to hunt certain places due to wind conditions but in that case I just hunt a different spot as I have a great amount of territory available.I have seen people pay large amounts of money for scentlock suits or scents that didn' t work as the game smelled them anyway.Scentlock suits and scents are better at making money for their sellers that at preventing game from smelling you.

Quick Reply: Question on Scent Eliminators

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.