Community
Hunting Gear Discussion Clothing, stands, ATV's, optics, scents, calls, etc... read the latest reviews of hot new hunting gear items here.

The Best ATV May Be an ESV...

Old 09-25-2003, 02:29 PM

Default The Best ATV May Be an ESV...

I was fortunate enough to be one of the first in the country to hunt the all-new 2004 Outback ESV " KING 7" ---an Electric Sport Vehicle built by Rick' s Specialty Vehicles down in Augusta, Georgia.

The " KING 7" is a serious all-around hunting machine built around a modified, heavy-duty golf cart chassis. It has a 7-inch lift and a 14.5-horsepower engine that is so quiet that it lets you sneak up on practically any game worth bagging.

What surprised me was the fact this vehicle has major torque and gave me plenty of hill-climbin' , creek-crossin' , stump-clearin' , bush-beatin' power and stability.

No, it' s not technically an ATV---it won' t climb Mt. Everest or blast through the Everglades.
But, for all-around utility, nothing else I' ve ever seen matches the KING 7 when it comes to carrying two hunters, several guns, and plenty of game just about anywhere most hunters will ever need to go.

This model is so new that they don' t even have it on their website yet, but you can get an idea of what it looks like by going here > www.ricksesv.com.

It comes in a two-seat version that transports four hunters, as well as the one-seater that I tried out.

I had them customize one for me, with a special camouflage pattern and my name on the tailgate of the little Rhino-lining truck bed.

Check it out!
Old 09-25-2003, 03:41 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: The Best ATV May Be an ESV...

whats the damage on this baby!
Old 09-25-2003, 10:30 PM

Buck they are AWESOME. Lastyear my brother bought the 2 seater from Ricks with the bed and camo body. I believe his has the 11.5 horse electric motor. I know I had to run in 3rd and 4th gear on my 300 Honda to keep up with him when it was fully charged. It is slow on hills and deep mud saps it pretty quickly, but for simply driving to the stand in COMPLETE silence, it is " da cats ace Xs 2!" He even rigged up a removable tripod stand over the bed on the back. It has extendable legs that letout to the ground to prevent movement through the suspension. He even bought a full blind for the cart, stand and all and bowhunted off of it and it even has a roof attachment, but admits its more appropriate for a gun hunter. We laugh and call it his " electric deerstand" , but it flatout WORKS! It is nothing to drive up on turkeys and deer well within bowrange before they become aware of it. They simply cant hear it, they must see it to even know you are around! The only noise they make is frosty ground or gravel crunching under the tires.

The 4 seater you mentioned is what I want to get. I have kids that are gettin old enough to go with me now and I carry guests as well. For simply driving a couple of miles or less to a stand they are unbeatable. His farm is 2k acres and if he drives completely to oneside of it and back it will run the cart down. But otherwise it will easily go morning and afternoon for simple transportation to and from stand sites. I used his once lastyear and drove under the stand and just parked it there. I have a two man ladder in a HUGE oak tree in the middle of a field and me and a bud just silently wizzed to the stand in the dark, got out and climbed up in the stand. The tree has a 60' canopy that hangs over the ground and deer never knew the cart was there! Talk about comfort and LAZINESS lol. I have even seen the new kits that power the front wheels on golf carts making them truly a 4x4. I cant think of a better setup then these lil beauts. I want to say his was in the $5k range but wouldnt swear on it. Regardless, they arent anymore than other ATVs out there.

Mind if we play/shoot through?
RA
Old 09-30-2003, 12:58 AM
Nontypical Buck

A glorified golf cart.... Definatly an option for those who are scent free nuts. Electric can' t smell, right?!
Old 09-30-2003, 06:12 AM
Giant Nontypical

Just how good is this electric cart at dragging a 1000lb moose or 800lb elk.Most atv' s will easily do this.