Community
Hunting Gear Discussion Clothing, stands, ATV's, optics, scents, calls, etc... read the latest reviews of hot new hunting gear items here.

Any suggestions for a hunting bug repellant?

Old 09-29-2003, 07:36 AM

Default RE: Any suggestions for a hunting bug repellant?

Thank you for all of your replies and insight. I' m sure glad I havn' t sprayed anything on my camo yet. I have a couple of questions for anyone who has used a thermacell. First, Is there any sort of odor omitted from this unit or dose it work on the principle of drawing those pesky skeeters to a warm pad? Also, dose this unit make any noise? It sound as though it may be worth a second look but I hate to purchase an overpriced paper weight. Thanks again for all your insight...Chuck
Old 09-29-2003, 12:51 PM

There is a slight heated chemical smell but only if you put it up to your nose. Im sure the deer can probally smell it but its far less odiferous than insect repellent.
The only draw back i have found is the obvious cost if you use it alot. I usually use mine for the first two and last two hours of the day when the mosquitos are at their worse.
There is no noise associated with it.
The unit doesnt draw the mosquitos to the pad it repels mosquitos for up to 15' diameter.
Old 09-29-2003, 01:29 PM

Thanks benhuntin,
It' s nice to get some feedback. Have you had any problems with game winding it and getting spooked? I try so hard to keep myself smelling like the woods (to a point I pack my camo in a rubbermade tub with leaves, don' t laugh it works) I' d almost rather get eaten alive then give my position away. Up until a couple of years ago I' d just deal with the bugs but with the W.Nile virus I' d rather play it safe. Thanks for the feedback. I think I' ll try it out...Chuck