Community
Hunting Gear Discussion Clothing, stands, ATV's, optics, scents, calls, etc... read the latest reviews of hot new hunting gear items here.

Scent reduction/elimination

Old 03-18-2013, 09:22 AM
Spike

Default Scent reduction/elimination

Hey guys,

I'm relatively new to the forums so I apologize if I misplace anything. I was wondering what clothing (like baselayers) you all used for scent reduction. I've tried a bunch of stuff (silver, etc), but I haven't really found anything I really love. I'm in the midwest.

Thanks!
Old 03-18-2013, 06:57 PM
Giant Nontypical

I smoke to cover my scent,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,

Works for me ???
Old 03-19-2013, 01:00 AM
Nontypical Buck

Welcome to the forums.
There isn't anything as good as keeping clean and hunting the wind. There is no magic pill or garment that will eliminate your scent. No gadget will replace the effort it takes to hunt like any other predator.
Old 03-19-2013, 01:26 AM
Fork Horn

I use Scentblocker and I believe it works to an extent. You still have to practice scent control by taking a scent free shower before each hunt and then spray down with scent killer. I'll do all that and then when I get into my stand, I will spray my face and hands down again. No matter how good any clothing says they are, you still have to play the wind because nothing will beat a whitetails nose 100% of the time.
Old 03-19-2013, 02:19 AM
Nontypical Buck

Default My theory on scent reduction

is so much money will get spent on scent reduction, a lot of hunters will have less money for gasoline to even drive to their hunting location.
Money for this, money for that, and pretty soon money for hunting will become too expensive.
Old 03-20-2013, 06:31 PM
Spike

First, let me say that no scent control product or clothing will beat a deer or coyotes scent capabilities. To put it in perspective, a deer has up to 297 million olfactory receptors, dogs have 220 million, and humans peak with just 5 million. A dog can smell a human fingerprint that is a week old. So, imagine what a deer can smell. Nothing you do will make you scent free to a deer or yote. That being said, there are a few things you can do to make your scent a little less strong.

My first suggestion is to hunt smart and stay downwind. Second, I use the primo's line of scent control soap and deodorant. The scent is not as strong as regular soap and deodorant. Also, I wash my clothes with the primos laundry soap, so that they don't smell as strong as our normal laundry soap. Lastly, I store my hunting clothes in a plastic container so that they don't absorb the scents around our house or garage. I've managed to get pretty close to deer and coyotes on variable wind days, so I do think it helps a little.

Again, the best way to control scent is to hunt smart and stay downwind, but I think you can help control scent so that you don't make yourself completely obvious in the woods.

Good hunting!

Last edited by jfarleyx; 03-27-2013 at 05:28 PM.
Old 03-20-2013, 06:32 PM
Spike

Oh, and welcome to the forum! I'm also a newbie here. :-)
Old 10-27-2014, 07:35 PM
Spike

I've been washing my clothes in fresh earth detergent with no UV brighteners. I use a fresh earth dryer sheet.

I put all of my stuff, my clothes, my pack, ect in airtight containers, all sorted. Ziplock makes one now with a gasket. I sort them in ziplock bags for convenience, light shirts in one, pants in another, whatever meets your fancy.

My pack with grunt, mask, hat, gloves ect, goes in a dry bag. In all of these containers I use some kind of cover scent disk or something. Doe in estrus, fresh earth . . .

I wear rubber boots walking in sprayed with cover scent. I take a shower beforehand with scent free, or apple scented soap. Anything to not smell human. I also use hibeclens or similar soap that kills bacteria. It really makes a difference in how long you can go without starting to smell.

I take my pack out of the drybag as little as possible at home. The drybag is more of an airtight bag.

The reason I do all this is because I have dogs (beagles), plus the usual house smells. I have an acute sense of smell, if I can smell my dogs on my clothes, then I know a deer can smell it. That goes for smoke, food odors, ect. My sense of smell is rather uncanny, and compared to a deer it's nothing. People don't realize how much of their environment adsorbs into their clothing, hair, and other belongings. It doesn't mean it's a bad smell (although sometimes it is) but it's all human smells. I can tell who smokes pot, who smokes cigs, what people have eaten, if they've drank coffee or alcoholic beverages . . .

I can smell if there is a rat in the attic, if cats pee on my porch, if my dog layed in the bed . . . it's kind of freaky. I had a camper for a few years and I can still tell by the smell what has been in the camper.

I also did it to keep my stuff organized so I can be ready at a moments notice if I have permission to hunt a strip of land. Keeping it in the closet wasn't cutting it. I've even set up a foldable table in the living room, the room that's the furthest away from strong odors like the kitchen and bedrooms, and my stuff is in sacks and containers on it, all sealed up. I take my shower and dress quickly in the living room, unless I can wait, then I dress when I get out of the truck.

After I get out of the stand, the pack goes back into the drybag, all ready to go again.

The nice thing is because the bags are waterproof, I can toss them in the back of the truck, not in the cab where my doggies sometimes ride.

It sounds like a lot but actually my house is less messy than most hunting seasons and I'm always ready. I really like the smell of the fresh earth scents. I'm not sure though if they smell the same to the deer. I wouldn't mind washing my sheets in it.

I think the thing a lot of people overlook is the stuff the carry, the pack, ropes, gloves, ect. Keeping them in an airtight container makes sure they don't absorb odors.

I just started this system this year. I got two bucks last week. They didn't even know I was there. Truth be told it's the rut and I don't really think they were thinking clearly.

I am curious if anyone else goes to this much trouble to seal up their hunting stuff. I just got a climber (my first one! yeah!) and I'm concerned about the seat adsorbing odors. I guess I'll just spray it with some kind of scent blocker when I take it out of the truck.
Old 10-27-2014, 07:44 PM
Nontypical Buck

i use silk weight base layers and heavier on the top as needed the most important is not to get all sweated up if possible keep as clean as possible. i use the heck out of those field wipes and those shower towels when i can't get a shower. also no cooking or anything with your hunting clothes don't put them on until the last possible time and get them off as soon as you get back to where you can change. i also use sports wash it works! when i lived back east i used to get really close to deer without them smelling me or my clothing. also keep your hands washed with scent free soap prior to handling anything you are taking in the woods with you. and i could go on but i think you get the gesture. good luck !
Old 10-30-2014, 06:34 AM
Spike

Hi Hunters, please check this site, we are hunters too and you would love what we have!
http://themanlymancanonline.com/