Community
Hunting Gear Discussion Clothing, stands, ATV's, optics, scents, calls, etc... read the latest reviews of hot new hunting gear items here.

GPS Question?

Old 09-21-2003, 06:16 AM
Spike

Default GPS Question?

What i was wondering is, I would like to map all of my trails on my property and surrounding property(200+acres) onto a airial view map. Would a GPS actually map it so I could take the info and make a map? Has anybody done this? Which did you use?
Old 09-21-2003, 03:38 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: GPS Question?

Most any GPS unit should have that ability to map a trail. You' ll have to walk or drive the perimeter then interface your GPS with your computer to upload the route.
Old 09-22-2003, 09:19 PM
Nontypical Buck

Itinerant, i use a program called maptech, it allows me to make my own topo maps. with this program, i can download waypoints or complete routes onto the map and print it out. routes and waypoints will be fairly accurate, depends on how accurate the gps is on a given day. good day it will get you with ten feet, so as far as pinpointing an exact spot on the ground, it might be a little off, but it will still be close enough to be used as a guide. i have several gps units, mostly garmins, and i can download to the computer with all of them. hope this helps. sorry i did not reply to your email, but it did not contain a return address.
Old 09-27-2003, 05:36 AM
Spike

Thanks for the reply it helps alot.
Old 09-28-2003, 03:19 PM

i have been thinking of getting a gps unit are they what they say they are and do they help?
Old 09-28-2003, 04:51 PM
Nontypical Buck

used alone, they will get you there and back with no problems, used with a map and it will really open your eyes, they are great units and there are tons of things you can do with them. get a small notebook, write down locations you save and you can locate them on a map, reinsert them back into the gps, etc etc. BUT never leave home without your compass.
Old 09-28-2003, 09:25 PM

I have the Garmin etrex legend.There is a free program called easygps,you can download it at easygps.com.You can then get airials or topo' s then print them out.
Old 09-29-2003, 05:27 PM

I have a Garmin Etrex Venture and use ExpertGPS the $49.00 dollar version of easyGPS. Love the program I can down load Topo maps and ariel photos and print them with or with out the routes on them. can create way points on the computor and upload to the Garmin. Save differtn routes on the computor for hunting or fishing and send them back to the GPS when needed.