Community
Hunting Gear Discussion Clothing, stands, ATV's, optics, scents, calls, etc... read the latest reviews of hot new hunting gear items here.

Help with hunting bibs

Old 11-29-2012, 12:42 PM
Spike

Default Help with hunting bibs

Hi. I need some gear help/advice in my search for some hunting bibs. I've been scouring the internet looking at every hunting bib I can find, in preparation for next year's elk season (now that stuff is starting to go on sale).

My planned hunts:
About 3 backcountry self-guided solo elk hunts (~4-5 days each, expecting about 5-8 miles of travel a day) in the Montana Rocky Mountains from early to late fall. Temperatures will range from mid 60s to subzero.

I'm looking for a pair of bibs that will be my main bottoms for these trips, are waterproof, capable (with a layer of UA tights and a fleece layer) of withstanding cold temperatures, super ventilated for climbing up mountains with a big pack when I will sweat like a pig, and is in Realtree AP. Oh, and I'm size small (which basically means no Cabelas products - they dont seem to carry Men's small) (~5'8 150 lbs).

My biggest problem is that hunting pants don't seem to be as technologically advanced as snowboard pants. I can't find pants with huge upper thigh, and mid leg zippered vents with mesh lining. I want ventilation. I NEED ventilation. "Breathable" fabric can never compete with rolling down the windows.

Can someone recommend or point me in the direction of some super vented bibs? I don't want to have to pack bibs - they are too heavy and bulky to fit in my pack. I want something I can rip open the vents, huck up the side of a mountain, sweat like crazy, but still be able to zip them closed when I stop to glass and not freeze. I'd really appreciate any/all advice on bibs that would meet my requirements.

Thanks so much.
Old 11-29-2012, 06:18 PM
Giant Nontypical

I'm 5'6"

150lbs

................and these, in small, fit me great !

http://www.cabelas.com/product/Cabel...h-All+Products