Community
Hunting Gear Discussion Clothing, stands, ATV's, optics, scents, calls, etc... read the latest reviews of hot new hunting gear items here.

Anyone used the Rhino GPS/radio combo from Garmin??

Old 09-04-2003, 03:33 PM

Default Anyone used the Rhino GPS/radio combo from Garmin??

how do these perform?? are they worth the money or just buy a radio and gps seperate?? what you guys think??
Old 09-04-2003, 09:36 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: Anyone used the Rhino GPS/radio combo from Garmin??

coverered this subject awhile back, but i will give you the basic information here. i have the rhino 110, they come with a lot of bells and whistles, but once you get it set up they are nice. a couple of things i like about them is you can transmit your position to another unit. when you use this in conjunction with a map, it is easy to see where the other person is. the radio' s work great, just remember once you get to the GMRS channels(channels 15-22) they will not transmit your position. the other persons position will also show on the map on the unit so it is easy to click on goto and head in their direction. i have not checked to see if the unit will transmit 5 miles in that i am never that far from the person i am hunting with. hope this helps.
Old 09-05-2003, 03:20 PM

thanks for the info!
Old 09-05-2003, 04:23 PM

My uncle and my cousin each bought one and have been trying them out. They do have some great features that Lee pointed out. The one thing we found though is that the radio range isn' t close to what they claim, especially in thick woods or mountains. All in all they seem to be a good unit, but the real test will come in hunting season!
Old 09-07-2003, 12:10 AM

Just got one along with some of my elk hunting partners and from what I have seen so far it works great except the radio range is' nt what we are used to with our 5 watt radios so I think we will cary both this year.
Old 09-07-2003, 06:39 PM

I Simply Love it.... Go get one.
Old 09-23-2003, 01:14 AM

Ditto what Lee said. I have the 120 model, and there is a lot to learn about this unit. I' m not sure with the 110, but the 120 has the ability to shut off the gps and use just the radio, and vise versa. As stated in the above, it depends on the Terrain your in, that will determine how far you can transmit and recieve. I like the map feature, I can zoom in or out and see major and some minor streets, hwy, and freeways. I used it this past weekend hunting some fire roads and boy, it lead me back to my camp. I need to save up for another one.

Ranier
Old 09-23-2003, 09:35 PM
Nontypical Buck

For you rhino users, garmin just posted an update on 22 Sep, for the 110 and 120.