Community
Hunting Gear Discussion Clothing, stands, ATV's, optics, scents, calls, etc... read the latest reviews of hot new hunting gear items here.

Heater Body Suit or other cold weather gear?

Old 09-03-2003, 11:54 AM

Default Heater Body Suit or other cold weather gear?

Hello,
Has anyone used a Heater Body Suit? Likes or Dislikes? Gear suggestions for cold weather?

Thanks,
Old 09-03-2003, 11:23 PM
Giant Nontypical

Default RE: Heater Body Suit or other cold weather gear?

My formula for cold weather (and believe me we get enough of it up here!!!) is protein, no caffine and layers.

First off Protein: eat a good solid breakfeast with oatmeal or cream of wheat. don' t forget your bananna as this makes you feel good about yourself. then eat granola or ceraeal bars as snacks, trail mix is another good take along and eat founds such as PBJ' s snadwiches. Basically lots of stick to your ribs stuff that boost your energy for long periods vs short periods (such as chocalte bars and cookies)

Secondly no Caffine: this includes coffee, tea or pop.(I still have one cup in the morning but that is all!!) Reason being is caffine makes you void(pee) and when you void you lose body heat, eliminate the peeing and you have eliminated one common problem. I drink water only and in small amounts at one time (this will let your body use the water vs pass it...caution by the time you have to pee look out it will be long and hard!!!!). If you do need warm liquid, cup of soup is the best.

Layer the most important element to warm. Dress in thin layer consisting of polyproplene moisture wicking materials against the skin(Includes socks and underwear(longjohns), then use wool & fleece to pad up. Avoid at all costs cotton materials, as they stay wet and keep you cool. And an outer garment that guards against wind and moisture but still breaths (gortex, etc). Boots with thinsulate and gortex or similar waterproofness. Make sure you have room to wiggle your toes, to tight and your cold and wear a good quality of wool socks over top of your polyproplene liner socks for added warm! Keep your neck and head warm, use appropriate gear to ensure the wind, cold and moisture saty clear of your head and neck area. Hand wear(keep them hands warm), again appropriate gear and some hot hand just in case. I like wool/fleece gloves with the mit portion and usually wear a light wool glove underneath for added protection when cold.
Dressing in layers allows you to walk in light and gear up when sitting, it avoids excessive heat & sweat build up. Another option is a sleeping bag if sitting to keep you warm.

Once in the stand wiggle them toes and scrunch your fingers. If you feel cool stand up and get the blood flowing my moving your arms and lifting your legs(pop in some high protein snacks while doing this)...don' t wait till your cold and shaking get it before it gets you!!
Old 09-04-2003, 05:45 AM

Skeeter,
Thanks for the tips. Anyone else have suggestions or thoughts on the Heater Body Suit.

Thanks
Old 09-05-2003, 06:44 AM

Anyone else have suggestions?
Old 09-07-2003, 05:01 PM

I don' t know anything about the heater body suit, but I do know lots about cold weather hunting!

skeeter has already covered all bases and gave some excellent advice. My experience simply reinforces what he has already stated.

Wearing multiple layers is important so you can take off/put on clothes as needed. When walking, make sure you are not overdressed to avoid sweating. If you work up a sweat before getting to your stand, you will be uncomfortable and you will get cold more quickly. Also perspiration adds to your scent, making it easier for deer to detect you. For this reason it is good to carry a small backpack to stash some of your warmer layers until you need them.

I like to wear a layer of polypro next to my skin, then a layer of duofold longjohns, and a warm fleece layer on top of that. My outer layers are always wool, no exceptions! Wool is far superior to any synthetic material for it' s ability to keep you warm even when wet. It is also totally quiet, which is important when hunting.

For footwear I like something with 600 grams or more of thinsulate. I buy them a little larger than normal so I can fit a pair of moisture-wicking socks and a pair of thick wool socks into them. I also use inserts that have a place to hold footwarmers for really cold weather when my toes may get cold. It is important that the boots fit snugly, but NOT tight, as tight boots restrict bloodflow.

Staying hydrated is important too, as skeeter pointed out. If you become dehydrated it is easier for hypothermia to set in, which is dangerous! If you become cold while sitting on stand, get up and do some still hunting or tracking for a while. It will get your blood flowing and it' s also a good way to stay focused on the hunt.
Old 09-08-2003, 07:35 AM

split-hoof,
Thanks for the response. I was debating whether to get the suit or not, but it appears that people are hunting in cold weather with good clothes while staying comfortable. If anyone has the suit I would love to hear from you.

Thanks
Old 09-09-2003, 08:48 PM

OT, I dont know what specific name brand it is, but last year my brother got one of those suits like you are talking about. To me it looks like a camo sleeping bag, but realize its much roomier, has specially designed openings and I believe his is waterproof. It rarely gets " really cold" where we hunt, but he bought it so that he wouldnt have to wear big bulky bibs and a parka. He has hunted below freezing with only a pair of lightweights johns, bluejeans, a flannel shirt, a medium weight jacket and lightweight field boots (Brownings kangaroo field boots). He says he was completely warm zipped up in the " bag" . But he admits carrying it is a pain in the backside sometimes.

I have thought about getting just a simple elcheapo camo sleeping bag from Wallyworld and using it to cover from my chest down on the coldest of days that I either sit all day or arent in a stand that allows for the use of a portable heater. I cant see the need for waterproof as I dont consider anything over appx 25 degrees cold. By then if something wet is falling or on the ground it will be frozen. It would also (and probably more often) allow my younger sons to go with me on days that they normally couldnt due to cold weather. So in that respect I will at least toss away a $20 bill just to try it this season.

There is NO substitution for proper layering and equipment, but sometimes just cuttin the wind off of your body or enclosing your feet and legs will do wonders!
RA
Old 09-10-2003, 05:39 AM

Red,
Thanks for the info. I do like the idea of not having to bulk up, as I am mostly a bow hunter. Ideally I would have both setups just in case, but the money I have will not go that far. Anyone else?

Thanks,
Old 09-19-2003, 07:07 PM
Nontypical Buck

when i wear poly pro liner type socks with wool socks over that it never feels as warm as just wool against my skin. the liner sock although mite wick moisture away gives me a just slight damp cool feel to my feet . enough to be annoying. anyone feel the same way? if your out of shape or have not so good circulation you will feel cold no matter what you wear. also i have seen on the discovery channel that it is possible to keep your feet and hands warm with little cover if your core body like your chest is kept warm. i just bought a light mesh vest that holds the body warmer packs around your chest and back and im gonna give it a try. [:-]
Old 09-25-2003, 04:22 PM

ORIGINAL: skeeter 7MM

My formula for cold weather (and believe me we get enough of it up here!!!) is protein, no caffine and layers.

First off Protein: eat a good solid breakfeast with oatmeal or cream of wheat. don' t forget your bananna as this makes you feel good about yourself. then eat granola or ceraeal bars as snacks, trail mix is another good take along and eat founds such as PBJ' s snadwiches. Basically lots of stick to your ribs stuff that boost your energy for long periods vs short periods (such as chocalte bars and cookies)

Secondly no Caffine:

Layer the most important element to warm.
gotta pick a nit w/ ya there - the food you list is not protein, it' s carbos! Protein is stuff like meat, cheese, etc. But you' re right - for easy access energy for keeping warm, carbos are good. I recommend some protein and fat too. carbos burn fast, protein and fat longer lasting. I like oatmeal or pancakes with a little of greasy sausage to get all three. For quick energy hiking or on the stand, carbos rule imho.

This is just nit picking, but what can I say, that' s the way I am! [X(]

Your other advice is abso-flippin-tutely right on. By the way, hydration (drinking non-caffein liquids) helps you stay warm in the toes and fingers. - zeke

Quick Reply: Heater Body Suit or other cold weather gear?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.