Community
Hunting Gear Discussion Clothing, stands, ATV's, optics, scents, calls, etc... read the latest reviews of hot new hunting gear items here.

[Deleted]

Old 08-25-2003, 08:34 PM

Default RE: Recommendations on Hunting boots

Ditto on the LaCrosse Burlys. They are the only boots I wear turkey hunting and early season whitetail hunting. But with the available 1000-1200 gram boots, they would make a good late season boot also.
Old 08-25-2003, 08:57 PM

Slunger if you are talking about primarily sitting in a treestand for whitetails then I recommend the LaCrosse rubber boots as well. I have 3 pairs for the entire season. And remember, when you go to buy a pair of boots take along a pair of your hunting socks so that you can insure proper fit when trying them on and walking in them.

My first pair is un-insulated that I bowhunt with until the weather starts getting below 50. With these I simply wear a thermax " liner sock" that wicks the moisture and keeps my feet dry.

My second pair is the 800gram Burlys. These get the lions share of work because I am typically comfortable in them down to about 25-30 degrees or so. I wear a liner sock with a wool sock over that to again wick the moisture away as well as insulate.

Below 30degs I wear a 1200gram pair and have yet to get cold in them in TN, MO, TX and KS. They are GREAT boots. Again I wear the liner sock and heavy wool (I am allergic to wool, but the liner socks keep the wool off my skin and I havent had any problems in 20 years of using them.). I typically duckhunt the last 2 weeks of January as well and it is usually COLD by then. These boots work great in the blind then as well.

I think the secret is keeping the boot dry between uses. I replace my boots when I get out of the woods with a simple slip on and try to let them dry somewhere during the middle of the day before use again that afternoon. At night they get either set on a bootdryer, placed over a floor vent or stuffed with newspaper and kept indoors. This also adds to the life of the boot as it helps the life of the materials inside the boot from deteriorating quicker as well. HIGH heat like right beside a fireplace or when dried with a hair dryer is tough on the materials and will ruin them in short order.

I have assembled a virtual collection of boots over the years but they just sit for occasional use for whatever, when I' m deer hunting its the rubber boots that get called on for duty. Another trick is to carry a towel or small piece of carpet if you are going to sit in a stand that has a metal or wiremesh bottom in it. Putting that piece of carpet under your boots will keep the cold metal off of the bottom of your boots and will amaze you how much difference it makes.

Good luck and may your skinnin knife need ALOT of resharpenin this season!
RA
Old 08-27-2003, 07:20 PM
Fork Horn

rocky and lacrosse. both are well made. i use 500 gr. lacrosse for early season and 1000 gr. rocky for later season and have no complaints on either. i' ve had a lot of boots over the years and found these two to be the best. good luck.
Old 08-31-2003, 07:51 PM

I too give the nod to Lacrosse, I have a pair of Pro Archer Lacrosse that I have gotten 13 years out of so far.
Old 09-01-2003, 12:42 AM

I wear some Danner trophy elk hunters for all my big game hunting and upland game. They are pricey but worth every penny.
Old 09-15-2003, 07:20 PM

Here in New Hampshire. I use the la cross from sept. til' November. When it gets " cold" We up here use the goverment issue all rubber " Mickey Mouse" Boots. They have a air chamber in them. kind of bulky but great for sitting in your tree stand. Check your Army Surplus store and never have cold feet again..also great for Ice fishing!
Old 09-16-2003, 08:34 AM
Spike

rocky
Old 09-16-2003, 12:49 PM

LaCrosse Burly' s for scent control.

Rocky SuperBrute' s 1000 gr for everything else.
Old 10-02-2003, 08:05 AM
Fork Horn

Most all of my hunting is trees stand hunting and for late season I have a pair of Rocky 1000 gram Thinsulate with gore-tex. They work really well.
Old 10-02-2003, 03:36 PM
Nontypical Buck

I have a pair of Wolverine boots that I use for hunting that' ve worked wonders for me so far...

They keep my feet warm, are comfortable and the whole bit. I would recommend Wolverines of the LaCrosse boots. I bought a pair of Itasca' s yesterday and a few months from now I' ll let you know how they hold up.

As for Rocky' s, I' ve had bad pairs of them in the past...I think they' re over-rated, mine started leaking about a month after I got them...it was the snake boot. Now I have some Itasca snake boots, hopefully they' ll hold up better. Good luck.

Quick Reply: [Deleted]

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.