Community
Hunting Gear Discussion Clothing, stands, ATV's, optics, scents, calls, etc... read the latest reviews of hot new hunting gear items here.

First bow?

Old 10-30-2011, 09:03 PM
Spike

Default First bow?

I need some help with this one. I'm trying to get myself back on the bow hunting horse. I've been researching for a month now and I'm really confused. I have a budget of $350 and would like to find a bow that is hunt ready.

Here is what I've found so far:
Martin threshold, bear game over or done deal, PSE stinger, Bowtech Diamond razors edge or redhead kronik.

Any thoughts on what's my best choice? I'm looking for a 29" draw with 60-70#.

Thanks everyone in advance for your advice.
Old 10-30-2011, 10:14 PM
Typical Buck

First welcome here. Secondly your bow and budget.... Of those you have listed the only one I have direct knowledge of is the Diamond. I bought one for my daughter a few years ago and it has been a great first bow for her. My neighbor shoots one also and loves it due to it being light and compact. The only - thing is her sights completely fell apart this summer (1 1/2 years) and I upgraded her to a good set. That would be the first thing I changed on that bow if you get that one. I personally am not a bear fan, maybe I am missing something.

Suggestion # 2 look at craigslist and see what is out there. There are a lot of guys who have to have the greatest and best new thing and so you will find them dumping gear. I picked up a used Pearson Z34 with a great set of sights for $210. It was in great shape. Here locally I just looked and there are 6 or 8 used bows that are great buys in your range- also look on the sale and trade area here. there are other sites that deal with archery that have for sale boards too. Ebay?

Suggestion #3 PM my buddy gun870guy - Steve. He has an archery shop and can do some great deals on bow products. He is a straight shooter.

Good luck!
Old 10-31-2011, 04:25 AM
Spike

Check with a pro shop close to you. Most will let you shoot the bow, some have used bows and, they can put you in touch with other shooters in your area. They can also help with making sure the bow fits you and is set up correctly. Just because a bow is marketed as "ready to hunt" doesn't mean it is ready to hunt for you.

As far as quality goes, even the low end bows, today, are better than what we had available just a few years ago so just get one that feels right for you.

As a side note, whatever bow you buy, don't scrimp on arrows. Even a "bad" bow will shoot good arrows but, the best bow on the market won't perform with junk arrows.
Old 10-31-2011, 05:15 AM
Spike

It's funny, as I wrote this post I said to myself who's going to reply at 1:30 in the morning. When I got your response I immediately went to craigslist. There were tons of cheap options. I wound up searching until 3:30am. So thanks for responding (my wife is going to hate me later when I start to become tired and grumpy). Oh well.

I'll reach out to your friend Steve today and see what he's got and get some advice from him as well. I would love to start with a new bow, but with my budget that may not be possible. I have two young boys who I would love to follow in my footsteps so I need a bow that will last a couple of generation. How long will a good bow last?

Thanks again. Great advice.
Old 10-31-2011, 05:27 AM
Spike

I have been to my local guys and they are very helpful, but what I'm finding is that we're in the middle of the season with a second bow season coming fast. The bows in the shops are really expensive. I may have to wait for the off season to find a better deal. That would give me lot of time to get comfortable with the bow and with my aim.

To your point about arrows, I was wondering why there was such a wide swing on arrow prices. It seM like all the pros are using Gold Tip or Carbon Express. So if I can save some money on the bow I could buy the better arrow.

Here's another question for you, is it better to go with a bow that has heavier poundage (60#-70#) and a heavier arrow or lighter poundage and lighter arrow? I'm a big guy so a heavier poundage doesn't scare me.
Old 10-31-2011, 07:20 AM
Typical Buck

I knew I wasn't crazy LOL 2am but not crazy.

What you want to do arrow wise is find the poundage where you feel comfortable and then get the arrows that fit that range. Most carbon arrows are pretty good now a days, but the best are the GT CE. I actually shoot the Easton ST Epic arrows. They were the ones my local shop recommended since I was starting out again. I was upgrading this fall before hunting, but wound up with a neck surgery and can't get back out right now. The arrow question you will find is like the brand of truck to drive. Most everyone has an opinion and if you ask 20 guys you will get 15 different answers. I 'd say start at a medium ranged priced arrow till you are ready to hunt and then upgrade. Also if you do go with a whisker biscuit style use feather vanes, They pull through much easier.

Life of a bow- that depends on you. The more you use it the more it will need work. Key points, the string will break down faster than the rest of the bow, keep it waxed. Keep it cleaned and no dry firing. I have a bow that shoots great that is 8+ years old and it is fast and in great shape. They will last a while. I am actually keeping that bow for my son when he is bigger and can handle it.
Old 10-31-2011, 04:44 PM
Fork Horn

Maybe look into the Diamond Rock if your wanting a bow thats 60-70 and 29..... Its a little bigger than the razor edge. And you should easily be able to find a used one way under 350. I think they are about 350-370 new.