Community
Hunting Gear Discussion Clothing, stands, ATV's, optics, scents, calls, etc... read the latest reviews of hot new hunting gear items here.

What do you think of Garmin Etrex Legend?

Old 10-25-2011, 10:16 PM
Spike

Default What do you think of Garmin Etrex Legend?

I'm looking for a good gps for 200 dollars or less.I want it just for hunting.I would like to put in where my stands are located,good deer sign I've seen,bedding and feeding areas.Having a barometer would be nice but not nessesary. I would like to use it along with my computer to put in topo maps of the different areas I hunt.Do you find the topo to be accurate?I see some of them allow access to 3D topo maps.That would be very helpful for my son and daughter. I've never owned a gps so it would be nice if it's easy to use.Thanks for any opinions or ideas you may have.
Old 10-25-2011, 10:47 PM
Nontypical Buck

Garmin is the name to beat.
Old 10-31-2011, 06:59 AM
Nontypical Buck

Default Garmin has a good name

Used one back in the 90's. Some of course, have all the new bells and whistles. And it depends how much you really want to spend.

The legend can be adequate, if you don't go to many places; have time to get a paper map off the internet; only need one so you don't get lost, if you carry spare batteries. It can tell you where you start, where you've gone from the start, and how to get back to the start. With a small paper map, the legend can be very adequate for some. Plus save money. The new legend can even work under tree canopies. (leaves use to give the old ones problems)

If I traveled a lot, did a lot of hiking in many, many different places, more bells and whistles can be helpful to some people.

Some people can find their way in and out of the Revolutionary Chemung battlefield. For some, its a totally unknown place, and can't.

The advice I could give is to know when you're an entry and intermediate person, and can survive with an entry or intermediate product. A lot of fishermen and hunters do.

Last edited by Valentine; 10-31-2011 at 07:04 AM.