Community
Hunting Gear Discussion Clothing, stands, ATV's, optics, scents, calls, etc... read the latest reviews of hot new hunting gear items here.

looking for gps.. but what kind????

Old 08-06-2003, 10:08 AM

Default looking for gps.. but what kind????

I am looking for a gps. but what do i need? I dont hunt all around the world. Im looking for a unit that i can take in the woods walk for hours in any direction and be able to find my way out!. Garmin,Lowrance,Magellan who do i choose?
Old 08-06-2003, 10:14 AM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: looking for gps.. but what kind????

if it was me, i would buy the garmin etrex summit. easy to operate, does not have a lot of extra features to confuse you and the compass works while you are standing still.
Old 08-06-2003, 02:17 PM
Giant Nontypical

The summit is a great GPS if you want all the frills and the price to match. My party uses the Garmin Etrex(Yellow), it work great for what we want and is waterproof to boot. The price is around 100 bucks. If you want additional features such as mapping then look higher, the Digital Compass is a great option but to me it was not worth the extra cash.
Old 08-06-2003, 02:22 PM

Which one you want really depends on what you want it to do. I' m not positive, but I thought the Summit was better for guys that climb (ie high mtns and the like). The basic Etrex is probably the cheapest GPS on the market and when you' re completely lost, it would still get you back to the truck as would the best of them. So, it really depends how much you want to be able to see major roads and little towns on your GPS as well and then it would be time to step up to a higher model.

I was looking through a magazine last night and still think that the Summit may be too high a price for your needs. It is better suited to climbers and doesn' t have the storage capacity of the Venture or the Legend.

As for the the digital compass, I would strongly recommend that you carry a real compass at all times. Never rely on an electronic device solely. 99% of the time, there would be no problems, but I wouldn' t want to be there when the last battery died.
Old 08-06-2003, 05:20 PM
Typical Buck

i also have a etrex summit,great unit easy to use.I imagine the etrex would be good also.Summit gives altitude and some other neat features.
Old 08-07-2003, 05:17 AM

I' ve got the Etrex Summit by Garmin and love it. It was an upgrade from a Garmin 40 model and man what an inprovement, the old one wouldn' t hold signal except wide open areas, but the new one has no problem, tree cover or not, and no problems in the mountains. Highly recommend.
David/Mo
Old 08-07-2003, 07:27 AM

I have the basic model - Garmin Etrex - love it.
Old 08-09-2003, 07:51 PM

thanks all for the info........
Old 08-09-2003, 08:58 PM
Nontypical Buck

I got a good deal on the Etrex Legend. I love it, its a great little unit.
Old 08-10-2003, 01:08 PM
Banned

Default [Deleted]

[Deleted by Admins]

Quick Reply: looking for gps.. but what kind????

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.