Community
Hunting Gear Discussion Clothing, stands, ATV's, optics, scents, calls, etc... read the latest reviews of hot new hunting gear items here.

Skinner Knives?

Old 07-29-2011, 02:19 PM
Spike

I recommend Linder-Messer:

http://www.linder.de/
Old 07-29-2011, 02:20 PM
Spike

Originally Posted by GTOHunter
...just wondering how long the gut hook area stays sharp and how to sharpen it when it gets dull?
Find a small scythe whetstone, or break off a piece from a larger one and file it down.
Old 08-02-2011, 09:04 PM
Super Moderator

gut hook knifes are nice...just wondering how long the gut hook area stays sharp and how to sharpen it when it gets dull?
I don't have to sharpen mine very often. I might run the steel over it twice in a season, if that. As I stated earlier, everything in my pack is Outdoor Edge.

This is the knife I use to field dress, because the blade is easily palmed when reaching inside the cavity to sever the vitals. I also use this when caping to make my initial cut around the body at the breastplate. At that point I have other knives I use.

This is a pic of the diamond steel I carry in my pack, in the tackle box, in the truck, and have one in the kitchen. It is a great little tool and well worth the $10 price tag. It does a fine job at sharpening the gut hook on any knife. The steel retracts into the handle.
Attached Thumbnails Skinner Knives?-game-skinner-1.jpg   Skinner Knives?-diamond-knife-sharpener-large-9841.jpg  

Last edited by deerdust; 08-02-2011 at 09:11 PM.