Community
Hunting Gear Discussion Clothing, stands, ATV's, optics, scents, calls, etc... read the latest reviews of hot new hunting gear items here.

Garmin GPS Question

Old 07-31-2003, 12:39 AM

Default Garmin GPS Question

For those of you that have a Garmin GPS, I have a question for you. With the GPS, can I enter a UTM waypoint manually? I' ve downloaded a couple of the user manuals and haven' t found anything. Then again, the manual for my Magellan hardly explained that feature.

My buddy is leaning towards buying a Garmin. He has some UTM maps, using NAD27 I believe, and has targeted some areas he' d like to hunt. He' d like to be able to punch in the UTM data, make a waypoint, and then find the distance and bearing to the target.

I' m new to GPS, and like I said, I had trouble finding the feature on mine. I' d like to be able to give him more help than " my model can do it" .
Old 07-31-2003, 08:51 AM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: Garmin GPS Question

you can enter the waypoints manually. just go to the main menu and highlight MARK and hit the enter key. use the scroll button to highlight the utm info currently showing in the window(button in the middle on the left) once you have it highlighted, hit enter again. then it is just a matter of hitting enter for each number and letter in the coordinate. each time you hit enter and small window comes up with numbers in it, scoll up or down on this to find the number you are looking for and hit enter, just continue all the way across, once you are to the last number, hit enter again and it will highlight ok at the bottom, enter again. this will bring you back to the original window. from here you can scroll up to where the number is showing and either enter a different number or enter a name, just highlight it and do the same thing you did to enter the coordinates. if you need more info give me another shout.
Old 07-31-2003, 10:17 AM

Thanks Lee! Can you tell me what model you' re using, or is that feature something that' s available in all Garmin models?
Old 07-31-2003, 09:36 PM
Nontypical Buck

that feature was available on all the models i have used. i am using the etrex summit right now, but it is available on my etrex and also on the rino 110 i have, so i would assume it is available on all models.