Community
Hunting Gear Discussion Clothing, stands, ATV's, optics, scents, calls, etc... read the latest reviews of hot new hunting gear items here.

deer decoy

Old 07-27-2003, 06:39 PM

Default deer decoy

I was thinking of buying a deer decoy. Is it wurth having? If so what makes do you sudgest? Thanks for anu info.
Millsy
Old 07-27-2003, 07:23 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: deer decoy

Flambeau puts out some good decoys. The one that I have has stood up well through 2 years of use.

Dan O.
Old 07-28-2003, 06:22 AM
Dominant Buck

A decoy can be very valuable for luring out a shy buck , and deadly when combined with a doe decoy especially if both are scented properly . Think like the resident buck , if you saw a doe or a potential rival on your turf wouldn' t you check it out ? And if you saw the rival trying to " nail your girlfriend" wouldn' t you come out to stop him ? I can' t count the number of times I' ve had a buck hang up , check out the area without me seeing him , then bolt when I moved . If you choose one get a model that also functions as a 3-D target to increase it' s versatility . If decoy prices hold you back at least get one that can be male or female via antler addition/subtraction . The deer silhouette or picture decoys are another option , and don' t generally cost much . They are pretty much disposable , and don' t stand up to weather well . I know a guy who bought one of those woods scene murals from Fingerhut then cut out the deer from it to use as decoys . All he did was glue them to 1/4" plywood and add ground stakes to the bottom edge . He even put hinges on for folding them for carry . There are lots of options if you want to try decoys .
Old 07-28-2003, 07:00 AM
Fork Horn

I have one and bought it with real high hopes. Mine is a Carry Lite and I like it - the only problem is unless I plan on decoying one into my garage, I haven' t had much luck. The real problem (for me) is getting it into my bow spots - too bulky. I hunt some real hard to get to spots and by the time I get myself, bow, maybe climber in I have no room to carry in the decoy. Since I don' t own the land I am reluctant to stash it out there when I' m done. I really think there is some value to using them however think about how you plan to use it. Will you stash it or bring it out every time, how hard is it for you to get in and out every time? If I had to buy one again I would seriouly consider a Montana Decoy. Good luck!
Old 09-25-2003, 04:24 PM

I have two Feather Flex decoys and they are awesome. I have used them for 5+ years and they still look great. They are made out of 1/4" foam(very quiet) and roll up for taking in and out of the woods. Weigh next to nothing so you can just bungee them to your stand for backpacking. I think I paid like $60 for both of them.

Set them up so you are down wind and you can practically do jumping jacks in your stand without deer noticing.
Old 10-11-2003, 03:59 PM
Spike

Ditto,on the Featherflex,awesome,and weighs 12 oz.
Old 10-11-2003, 10:44 PM
Fork Horn

I have a full bodied decoy. Mine like ansels hasn' t lured to much in since it stays in the shed all the time. Its to bulkly to carry around to my stands.
I' d definitely get a very lightweight more portable type of decoy.
Dan
Old 10-12-2003, 03:00 PM
Nontypical Buck

If you get one, don' t use it on public hunting land where there would be a lot of other hunters.